Soft focus, sharp eyes

It seems I am seeing a lot of portraits lately where the whole picture is a

very soft focus, but the eyes are very sharp. I'm assuming it's done in the

digital "processing." Can anyone help me with how to accomplish this? I only

have Photoshop Elements 4.0. Thanks.

You will have to read this to have an idea http://vrya.net/ts/photoshop7.php. This is for PS 7 though, but it might work for Elements 4.0, but im not sure. The whole idea behind is you create a layer and add a mask to it right away. Any changes you did to the layer, like softening the image overall ( this example), you can undo selectively by painting with black brush the area you want to conceal, like eyes in this example. You can even do it backwards. Create a layer + mask and apply sharpening, then hit Ctr+ backspace to fill the mask with black and hide the sharpening effect. Then by painting the eyes with white brush you reveal the sharpening effect just in the area where you painted.

Thank you, Eric and Jerry, but I don't have the right tools in Elements, it looks like. Then again, I am just starting with PS elements. I will have to go look it up online and see if I can see what I CAN do with my limited program! I appreciate the help.

Or using the history pallet:

1. open the image

2. sharpen

3. take a snapshot (#1)

4. revert to orig snapshot (taken automatically by PS)

5. apply gaussian blur

6. Set history brush to source from snapshot #1 and "normal" mode

7. Paint in the eyes to sharpen.

In my opinion retouching should be approached the way women approach makeup. The goal is for it to look invisible. Most women would prefer someone to comment on how nice they look, not what nice makeup they have on.

The same goes for retouching.

As for your picture, nobody has blurred skin and sharp and retouched eyes. So yes, it is creepy.

What the trend is for better or worse, is to blur the skin SLIGHTLY, then sharpen anything with definite lines like eyes, lips and teeth, nostrils etc.

But remember whatever you do, it needs to be invisible. Nobody wants to look at a picture of themselves and see that they've been photoshopped.

Just an opinion.

Michael

The best way to do this is to use shallow depth of field. Use a good portrait lens like the Canon EF 85mm f1.8, or even better, the 85mm f1.2. A full frame camera, rather than a crop body, will be better.

Pose the model so that you're shooting angled down. Focus on the eyes, and capture with lens aperture wide open. The shallow depth of field will naturally throw other parts of the face (and everthing else) gently out of focus.

A sharpening exercise done only in post generally looks strange and unnatural.

There's a technique described in "50 Fast Digital Photo Techniques with Photoshop Elements 3" by Gregory Georges. It is rather laborious, but seems to work. It runs like this:

1. Duplicate the background layer, label this layer "Soft Focus"

2. Duplicate the "Soft Focus" layer (total of 3 layers)

3. Set Blend Mode to Luminosity

4. Apply a 1.0 pixel radius Gaussian blur

5. Set the Opacity to 50%.

6. Merge down, combining the blurred layer with the "Soft Focus" layer

7. repeat steps 2 - 6 six times, doubling the blur radius each time (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.). Set Opacity to 33%, then 25%, 20%, 15%, 12%, 10%

8. Selecting the "Soft Focus" layer use a feathered edge eraser to erase the blur and bring out the sharper details you're looking for.

I've used this technique only on the example given in the book, but it worked nicely then. YMMV.