Fujinon 600mm tele, Bellows Draw

dave_a1

What is the bellows requirement in inches of the Fuji 600mm T lens at infinity

and close range. My assumption is infinity would be less bellows length. My

Shen-Hoa 4x5 has a rated length of 14", but with front standard manipulation I

got 15 inches, I could add a top hat lens board for another 2 inches..would

this be enough? I understand this would not help with stability..but that's

another topic.

The ratio I've always heard for tele lenses, is about 2/3 of the focal length for infinity focus. That's pretty close to the 195mm given for the 300T, so for a 600T you'll probably need at least 390mm of bellows for infinity, or just more than the 15 inches you managed to get out of your ShenHao... and don't even ask about closeup.

I think you'll need about 15" bellows draw at infinity.

<br>I used to have a Shen Hao 4x5. I found the front rise locking knobs (the only knobs you have left to fix the lens board when you extend the bellows to max lenghts) not strong enough to hold heavier lenses securely in place. Also, at 15 inches you'll have no space left for close-ups. <br>The Fuji 400 Tele works well on the Shen-Hao.

<br>At http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/t.htm you can find the specs in cm. To convert cm into inches, divide by 2.54.

Friedemann gave a URL with the information that you need. The quantity that you want is

Flange Focal Length (Ff). The table on that page gives the value in mm, not cm. The

Flange Focal Length is the distance from the flange, which is the back of the shutter, or

equivalently the front of your lensboard, to the image (i.e., the film or ground glass), when

focused on infinity.

So from that table: 195 mm for the 300 m Fuji-T, 252 for the 400 mm, and 384 mm for

the 600 mm Fuji-T.

As previously said, you would need additional extension to focus closer.

Dave,

I tried to use the Fuji 600 mm T on my Toyo 45 A camera (with prolongation back). The result was that the front standard, due to the heavy weight of the lens was forced out of line. I would therefore strongly suggest that you not use that lense on your Shen-Hoa. The 400 mm T is more reasonable in weight.