EOS 1D Mark III, Versus EOS 5D

Hello.

I presently have an EOS 30D. Lovely camera but it has a CCD which produces only

16 highly saturated colours on the LCD display due to a gremlin. Perfect output,

but knackered LCD. Anyway, that's life...

I would like to upgrade and am willing to spend around ?2000 on a new body.

Could anyone please explain why Canon have released the 1D MarkIII, which is

more expensive than the 5D, but comes in at a lower output resolution, the

megapixel thing.

Would you, presuming you know a bit about the cameras go fot the 5D or the

other. I mainly do portrait and wedding photography and am trying go get to

grips with the whole digital thing, so please forgive my ignorance.

By the way, if anyone wants a 6 month old 30D with the problem described above,

and no receipt then please email me with a reasonable offer of at least 20

pence. It's in mint physical condition and has taken about 5000 exposures since new.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Quick answer. It is not always all about MPs. The new camera has a very fast and deep burst

mode, for example. It is more or a "hardened" body with environmental sealing. It is

optimized for certain professional applications such as journalism and sports photography.

(Not that you couldn't use it for other things...)

"Better" is not always better, if the better is not the better you need. :-)

Hi Paul,

<br/>

how about getting it fixed by Canon? You could invest the savings into glass ...<br/>

Please, forgive my ignorance, but what actually do you find inacceptable at the 30D that you need to spend 2000 on a new body? (I mean if the LCD would work correctly, what hinders you taking the pictures you want to?)

<br/>

The 5D is full-frame, 12 MPX, the 1d Mark III "only" got 10MPX, but is weathersealed, shoots at 10fps and you can boost the ISO to 6400 ...

<br/>

What I would buy? The 5D, it is still a lot cheaper and I would prefer the fullframe sensor for the wideangle coverage (no crop factor)...<br/>

Not sure you are going to be able to upgrade on a new body at $2000 since the next jump from 30D is to the 5D which is closer to $2500-2700. If you do want to upgrade your best shot is at a used 5D for around $2000-2300. 30D is a great camera and you haven't mentioned anything other than the LCD that doesn't fit your needs. As Dan mentioned, megapixels don't tell the whole story. The 1D MKIII will be the latest and greatest dSLR beast however it has features that not everyone will need or want. At a cost of ~$4000 the 1D MKIII will be a moot point for most of us. Sounds like you need to decide between a new/used 5D or keep your 30D.

Hi Andre. The reason for not getting the camera fixed through Canon is that it was bought through Ebay, and I have not been able to get a receipt from the person I bought it from (lost his email and had my account closed for trying to sell my body parts). All I know is that it was brand new and purchased from a Jessops within the UK. The cost of fixing it I imagine would be pretty high with no warranty! Hence the reason for biting the bullet and getting a new one.

JOHN WHITE

----------

I had a good friend called John White who died a few months ago. You havn't returned from the grave have you?

Don't forget John that in the UK, ?2000 is virtually double $2000.

Cheers,

Paul.

Just noticed that my pound sign is coming out like a question mark. Sorry!

Too add, the reason for considering the 5D is that I like the idea of being able to crop an image (if needed), yet still having the resolution to produce a reasonable size print if requested by the customer.

Having worked with film for so many years, I feel somewhat like a duck out of water, but hopefully I'm getting there.

Thanks again.

"Too [sic] add, the reason for considering the 5D is that I like the idea of being able to crop an image (if needed), yet still having the resolution to produce a reasonable size print if requested by the customer."

Be aware that the pixel density of the 30D and 1DIII are both higher than the 5D, so even though it's higher resolution, your images might suffer if you crop too aggressively.

Here's the pixel density of the various models:

1DIII: 7.2 microns

5D: 8.2 microns

30D: 6.4 microns

Hi Paul,

There are probably many places in the UK that can fix your camera. It doesn't have to be Canon. I had the shutter and electronics on my 10D replaced recently by Precision Camera in the states for less than US$250. Surely the 30D is worth at least that to fix.

The 5D/1D mIII argument depends on what you are shooting. I'd get the 5d if you are really into wide-angle landscapes, but the 1D if you concentrate on events/action or low-light. If money was no object I'd get the 1D mIII, since it's got a lot of good tech in it.

-Aubrey

"Be aware that the pixel density of the 30D and 1DIII are both higher than the 5D, so even

though it's higher resolution, your images might suffer if you crop too aggressively."

While this is true, there is something else to consider. The smaller sensor of the 30D requires

1.6x more "enlargement" than FF to arrive at the same size print. Thus 13 x 19 prints from

my 20D more readily show noise, artifacts, lens defects and hand shake than the same size

prints from my 5D.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Gotcha, well with $4000 available to freely spend I personally would go for 1D MKIII for action/wildlife photography and I don't do much ultra-wide angle photography. Seems like you'll have two fantastic options in the upcoming months with either the 5D or new 1D.

As far as I know I was reincarnated from a slug about 31 years ago and not a couple months ago. However, you do have my deepest sympathies about the recent loss of your close friend.

Have a great weekend

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if you're shooting wedding work, the Mark 3 might not be so bad, because from what I understand the extra low-light performance is huge, and all the weddings I've shot have included portions that felt to be in complete darkness. Also, the difference between 10 and 12 megapixels is pretty marginal, and unless you're printing posters, you won't likely be using all the pixels from your file in the final print anyway.

Also, it creates 14 bit files, instead of 12-bit. 12-bit files have 4,096 levels of brightness per channel, versus the 16,384 in a 14-bit file, so you'll run a much, much lower risk of blowing out highlights, and will also keep much more shadow detail. What better way to compromise between the black tux and the white dress than to just get them both?

Although, as others mentioned, for $2,000, this question is a moot point, since you certainly won't be finding any Mark 3's for that price for a long time.

"Also, it creates 14 bit files, instead of 12-bit. 12-bit files have 4,096 levels of brightness per channel, versus the 16,384 in a 14-bit file, so you'll run a much, much lower risk of blowing out highlights, and will also keep much more shadow detail."

wait for the detailed tests to come out. it's just as likely that the highlights and shadows will be no different, with simply more tones in between them.