What 4x5 to Buy??

stella_blunt

I borrowed a sinar f2 from a friend and really loved it. Iam shooting outside and portraits and know the

Sinar is more of a studio camera - but Im not worried about wieght or convenience when shooting on

location . Its my first time with this format ... I need to buy a camera asap -I would like any advice on

quality of cameras and lenes and of course I would prefer to spend less if possiable but want to have

excellent quality ..I am looking to buy used . Someone mentioned a Toyo omega 465 to me ???

Thanks .

Hi Stella, welcome to the asylum!

If you're sure that you will always be shooting near your car, then a studio-type camera (i.e., monorail) has few drawbacks, and certainly can have advantages. OTOH, if there's even a ghost of a chance that you will, someday, want to carry the camera more than 500 feet from the car, you should consider a field camera.

With large format, lenses and cameras are completely interchangeable, at least until the camera runs out of bellows. Opinions will of course vary, but IMO two contenders for your attention would be the 4x5 Shen-Hao and the Tachihara. Both are wooden cameras, both are very well made and an excellent value at their price point (around $600 new.)

I like wooden field cameras myself - I have two, an 8x10 and a 4x5. The 4x5 is light enough to carry fairly easily on long hikes, although I would think twice about the 8x10, even as light as it is. Since you're not concerned about weight, you could go with just about anything that you can afford, just make sure the bellows is in good shape. By the way, Sinar and low cost are almost never used in the same sentence...

On the up side, unlike smaller formats, large format lenses are portable from one camera to the next, so you can get a different camera at any time if you decide you would like to move from a monorail to a field camera (or vice versa), or from one brand to another without having to replace your lenses.

- Randy

It really depends on what you want to do with the camera and your preferences.

I like to use a lot of movements and just changed to a camera with geared everything. I paid for that in weight and cost. The more expensive the camera the more expensive the accessories and that can add up fast.

There are several good books available that are almost must reads before jumping off and buying a camera. While the lenses can be used on any camera lens boards often can not and can be quite expensive so you are better getting the camera you want first.

Some manufacturers make "systems" that can be adapted to almost any application. The Sinar P2 can be anything from a digital to an 8x10, just bring money.

I suggest you find a copy of "using the view camera", Kodak guide to the view camera. etc

There is also a lot of information available on the internet on large format cameras.

Also the camera manufacturer's sites can be very helpful. For rail cameras check: Sinar, Arca Swiss.

View Camera magazine has a web site and their magazines contain a lot of information also check here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

If you don't mind the weight of a mono-rail camera(same as the Sinar F). The best entry level cameras IMHO, are the Calumet CC400 types. These can be had for under $200. And use the savings to buy a decent lens.

Depending on what you want a lens should run anywhere from $200-$1000. Averge around $300-400 for a decent lens. For portraits you can't beat a 210MM for the 4x5 format. These are inexpensive, and cheap lenses in this focal length seem to work well, and have decent capability for movements. It has around the same angle of view as a 65MM lens on 35MM camera, so slightly tele-foto.

The Toyo's are good cameras but the omega semse an older one to be and if I remember

right they even heavier then a Sinar F1 or F2!

Buy on Sinar F 1 or F 2 and you are in the most versatile system on the world and you can get

them quite cheap from ebay or from a camera shop!

Is it a good sign thad most pro studios worked with them and of course with the Sinar P but

the P and P2 is to heavy for outside!

Hope it helps, Armin

If you do not want a folding field camera, and you like the Sinar, why not get one? Another possibility is a Plaubel. They are still in business. The cameras sell new for several thousand and up but you can get one on Ebay for around $400.-$500. They are much smoother and more solid than the Sinar F's.

Unless you don't ever want to work outside, buy a 5x7 field camera with 4x5 adapter back. 5x7 is a lovely format much like 35mm images but obviously holding the LF benefits, while 4x5 is the size that most specialty stuff like Polaroid and roll film holders are designed to work with. Field cameras are quite versatile, and a decent 4x5 rail camera is easy enough to add to the stable should you need it for architectural or product photography. If you ever decide you want to shoot on still bigger film, then 8x10 and ULF awaits you.