Epson Large Format Printer question

After about one and a half month of frustration, with no solution from Epson we have to

seek for help elsewhere...

Hope you can take the time to read the mail and see the link under sent to

Epson for some while ago, they said after reading this that the solution for this problem

was using the "high tension spindle" which of course we got the second we heard about

it, but again we got the exact same problems when we use the HT spindle, both on our

9600 and our 9800...

This is from the letter sent to Epson:

The problem occurs when we use matte black ink, and matte fine art papers, printed

in large sizes, with images containing big surfaces of even dark tone, we have

tried with Texture Fine Art, Smooth Fine Art, Enhanced Matte (all from 44" Roll)

and the same problem with all of them...

(The problem does NOT occur when we use Photo black, and semi glossy to glossy

based media...)

We tried with some large (24") 420g Haenemuhle matte paper, (with matte black)

and the print came out perfect, no stripes what so ever (see photo)...?

It seem's like the stripes we get, are based on some chemical reaction with the

combination of ink/paper/suction, and it almost look's like it gives out to much ink...?

Of course we tried different profile combinations, adjusting the suction level, and even

tried on other (like a collegue of ours own 9800) similar Epson printers, and the problem is consistent.

All three printers show the same problem, so i'm 100% shure this is not a printer problem

it's rather a paper/ink problem....

Here you can find and image showing the problem( notice the smaller 420g Haenemuhle matte paper

beside the large print, no stripes...)

http://www.alexandertufte.com/L1002111.jpg

Is there a solution for this problem or do we need to change our whole printer lineup...?

Beepy_high speed printing will not cause that kind of problem, if it was HP it will be majorly thin fine line, as the 9600 normaly get, but not the 9800 anymore.

It look like you got a humidity probleme in your office or where the paper is store. Normal humidity level should be around 45%, 21C i use to have this probleme with matte paper like the Enhanced matte during summer time, now i have a air conditioner so i monitor my humidez level to keep it *normal* check that and give me some news.

So yes is normal, i dont think is a printer problem for now. Too much ink density can cause also this kind of problem, try to lower it in your menu (i dont know under whic one but you will see something call *ink density*) lower it by 10% and see if it work also.

We used to have this problem intermittantly with our 10000 and switched to buying all of our fine art stock flat in the heavier weight. The problem is gone and our customers love the heavier stock. And, the paper cost is the same except for a bit more waste. But, with never a problem that is caused by paper curl on the FA papers, (which is likely the cause of your problem), we don't have any waste from bad prints.

POWER CLEAN your head until you get perfect results on your head test. The use only 1440 dpi. I have found that sometimes for unknown reasons 720 dpi leaves those lines on the better paper. Going to 1440 dpi clears it up. I also use high speed all the time, so I wouldn't think that's an issue, but it's worth a try too.