Pricing Reception Coverage Only

andreamarie

I am looking for feedback on what you all price reception coverage only. Currently I price it the same way

I price weddings. I have a couple that is getting married in Hawaii and having a reception here that they

want me to cover. They led on that they want a discount because they are looking for reception coverage

only. (I'm meeting with them today so I'm not sure how much of a discount they are looking for)

Usually I would just tell them they should find someone else if they're looking for a discount, but I just

moved to the area so I'm not sure that I will find another bride for that day. (It's an Aug date)

Would you discount your rates because it's "only" reception coverage or would you take the chance and

hope to find someone else?

Thanks for the help.

Do you do any kind of event photography . . . anniversaries, etc?? If so would you feel comfortable just charging them that rate? or possibly developing a pricing structure for that? I guess alot will depend on what kind of pictures they want. Do you have a "small" package that only covers a couple of hours? The only issue I see here is that if you end up just doing alot of candid type pics what will they want in terms of prints? If you end up giving them a "reception only" package, I think I would make it to where they paid for everything as a package and you aren't relying on print sales to makes your money. You could also just go with an hourly charge but again make sure it's high enough in case you don't see any print sales. I don't think I would have a problem offering a discount but alot would depend on what kind of pictures they were wanting from me.

There is no difference for me in how I charge based on what happens during the day. My collections include either 4 hours, 8 hours or all day photography. If the reception is 4 hours, that's what I charge. It makes no difference whether I'm photographing the actual vow exchange or not, why would it? It's the same amount of work and cost on my part...

What do they expect from you, product-wise? Do they want some sort of album or just prints or CD?

If just prints or CD, I would figure 3/4 the price of your starter package as the reception usually lasts a lot longer than the ceremony. If they want an album, then I'd put a markup on the product and add that to the price of just shooting the event.

To me, while the ceremony and formals are the shots they usually buy, the reception constitutes most of the work/energy expenditure for the wedding day...dodgeing drunk dancers is real work :-) At the ceremony they are still fairly docile and manageable.