Archiving aperture files

OK, I am brand new to the forum and I ran a search and couldn't find my topic- so apologize if this has

been asked before.

I am using Aperture 1.5 and I download my raw pics into ths program directly from my 350D. My

computer is filling up with image files. I back up the aperture library onto an external drive- but these

files aren't stored as separate picture files but as a proprietary aperature packaged file.

I understand that in aperture you can now save as seperate image files easily- but how do you do it?

I want to remove many of my image files off my computer to an external hard drive where I can easily find

my way back to distinct image files.

Please help me understand how those of you who use aperture do this? What is the workflow standard

protocol?

Thank you very much,

John

I used aperture, and a big reason that I don't STILL use aperture is b/c it looks like there is NO way to archive files WITH the adjustments. of course, you can archive the versions in non-raw format, but if you want to archive the raw files, you can't have any of the adjustments already loaded with the files.

big disappointment.

John,

I have used Aperture since the 1.0 release and continue to do so. The release of v. 1.5 was basically a 2. release with many changes...including how files are managed.

Prior to v. 1.5 the default behavior of the application was to store all files in a monolithic database that appeared as a Mac .pkg file. It has it's pro's and cons, but many people did not like this feature and preferred to store their images outside of the application using a folder structure they set up. This gripe made a lot of sense to folks because many people (including me) starting using RAW files before Aperture even existed.

As you know, with the launch of v.1.5 Aperture allows and fully supports storing your images outside of an Aperture library and in a folder structure you set up on your Mac. This maintains your ability to manage files and browse images as you see fit outside of the application, bur still make image adjustments, etc within the application. Additionally, it also supports the creation of offline thumbnails which will allow you to review your library even when your local version is not available (read going mobile with a laptop).

So how do you set this up?:

My best advice is to consult the manuals. They are available directly from Apple. Here's a direct link to their support page where you can download PDF manuals: http://www.apple.com/support/aperture/

Additionally, you may want to consider O'Reilly's Aperture site written and run by professional photographers that use the application every single day. The URL is: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/aperture/

I personally have used just about every application that is out there for digital photography (Photoshop w/bridge, Lightroom betas, etc, etc) and for my money I still feel that Aperture is good player. The only thing it lacks is the ability to import RAW images along with adjustments as a sidecar file from another application (it can do the reverse -- export within v. 1.5)

I am evaluating the final version of Lightroom now, but both Aperture and Lightroom have their pro's and cons. There is not a single application that covers the whole ball of wax for digital photography which does everything well. One always has a feature better than another and vice versa.