lens performance: Zeiss Mutar 2X T* vs Hasselblad Converter 2X E

diegobuono

If you do a search on this site for hasselbad 2x or 2xe you will find opinions vary a bit on this issue. Some will tell you they can see the better quality of the Mutar in a print, and others will say any difference is not noticeable in the "real world." Personally, I don't use any 2X if I can get away with using a 1.4X. A two stop loss of light in the 2X is far more noticeable than a one stop loss in the 1.4X, and any shortcoming in lens design will be less noticeable as well. On the down side, the 1.4XE will only work for lenses 100mm or above. As far as the data bus connections go, when working with the converters, I'm usually on a tripod anyway so one more step to get an exposure reading is no big inconvenience.

In my sample of a 2XE it yielded mediocre results. I traded it in on a Zeiss Mutar (no longer in production) and can see the better results through the viewfinder, not to mention on print. Still, it is a teleconverter and I only use it in certain applications that don't require "prime" sharpness.