120 Developing

noalbany

hi, i'm just starting out in medium format, live in NYC where the cost of proof sheets is a bit high, and

wondering if anyone might know of any mail order developers (or places in NYC/Brooklyn) that might cost

less than the $20.00 per roll b&w/proof sheet, $24.00 color, i'm paying here. Or any other ideas toward

affordability would be helpful (i shoot alot). Thanks.

Michael, are you not processing your own b&w? Setting up to make your own proofs requires no special equipment. Just piece of glass and a low watt globe. If you shoot a lot, surely a refined system and a regular routine will save you heaps! I'm even going to start processing my own colour asap. (No-one else gets to touch my b&w unless it's C41 chromogenic.)

Cheers, Kevin.

PS. My primary concern is not the process, but the disposal of used chemicals. They will come back to kill us if we don't do it properly.

Michael: Look at this what are my cost's to package the film send the film and then pay for the film to be processed and contact sheet's and then returned to me, you may find paying 20.00 per is a lot cheaper! I have a place here in boston that I can drop off my self its cost $12.50 per roll but send it via mail ??

good luck\\Lauren====http://www.lauren-macintosh.com

I agree with some of the above....develop your own B&W film, then scan it using a decent flatbed scanner. Have a decent lab develop your Color film, then scan it at home with same scanner. Then if you want anyone to print any of it for you, you've whittled the choices down to ones you know you like....plus you can give them a digital file of your scan and subsequent edits to use as a guide for how they should print....dodge and burn lets say, for instance.....the print for you (yes, a lot of labs that only print conventional wet prints will use a digital file as a reference....I've asked)

I might get flamed for saying this, but my local Walmart photo center ordered in the canisters needed to develop 120 in their in house machines. As far as I know they did this just for me. It also helps that I know the guy behind the counter, and I know he has experience with 120. Even shipping it off for developing via the Walmart Fuji people is usually 2.00/roll of 12 and they take care to protect your negatives. Then I scan in what I want and then store the negatives. There are always methods to get around the high costs of Pro labs.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...