D-Lux3 - USB slow, firmware update?

Hi,

For a couple of weeks, I got a Leica D-Lux 3, which I like very much. The only thing that drives me nuts

(more than the ever-complained about noise) are the slow usb-transfer times. I read somewhere (for I

think it was a D-Lux2? But I'm not sure) that the camera motherboard was high-speed USB, but it was not

recognized as such by the computer. And, according to Leica's technical specifications, the D-Lux3 has a

high-speed port.

So I wonder whether there is a way to speed things up? Is there a firmware update, or some computer

software? (I am using an Apple MacBook Pro...)

I greatly appreciate your suggestions!

Pit

If your computer has USB 1.1 ports (as apposed to USB 2 ports), this would account for the slow transfer rate. However, I have learned (the hard way) the best way to transfer files to a computer is by taking the card out of the camera and using a card reader. Believe me, you'll be much happier and your files will transfer at a much faster rate.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

(1) Do not reformat whilst plugged in to card reader/computer. Always reformat in the camera.

(2) Only reformat after the files/system has been backed up (just in case of hard/drive crash.) Use good quality CD-R/DVD-R media. I back up my whole system at least monthly, including images, and keep a copy off site.

The MacBook Pro uses USB 2 ports and is blazingly fast, so the problem is likely on the camera end. My downloads with a card reader are very quick on the MacBook Pro. Even if you don't like carrying a card reader, borrowing one with USB 2 might at least confirm the source of the problem.

My solution was to switch to one of these SD cards for my briefcase camera (C-Lux 1) so I don't have to carry either a card reader or a USB cable around with me. Works great with my Fujitsu P2120 notebook.

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/SanDisk-2GB-Ultra-II-Secure-Digital-Plus-USB-Card-SD_W0QQitemZ150096945275QQcategoryZ93930QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">Click here</a></p>

<I>John..why "Don't erase, reformat"? I don't do digital photography but my wife does, so it's

nice for me to know something about it every now and then :-)</I><br><P>Most of the

camera manufacturers plus most working pros recommend it. Put the card in the camera and

reformat. The camera then has the card formatted to its specs. When done with card, remove

it and put in another card and reformat it. The used card then goes into a card reader. Drag

the

pictures off the card and onto the desktop. Back those up to another harddrive or burn a CD/

DVD. At that point I still hang onto the card with the photos until I'm absolutely sure all is

okay (the ones on the computer).