Astrophotography

ubergeek

Star trails are actually quite easy to capture. You'll need a tripod, a locking cable release and preferably some ISO 400 film. I prefer colour slide film for these type of shots.<br>

You'll have to use the B(ulb) setting for the exposure and use a fairly low aperture setting - like f3.8 on your Tamron.<br>The Earth's rotation will be noticeable with exposure times in excess of 20 seconds, depending on the focal length that you apply and the astronomical declination (latitude) of your target area.<br>Objects near the horizon move faster than the sky overhead. I would start shooting at 50-100mm and expose for a couple of minutes. Make sure to pick some prominent (bright) stars. For instance, the "Belt of Orion" is a great starting point.

The problem with a battery dependent slr will be battery useage since i believe the shutter uses current while it's open. Star trails take a bit of time. I don't know how long a battery will last under these conditions, but it could be an issue. This is an advantage of an older, manual slr.