Capture NX license

tri-x1

Wayne I'll give you my answer.

Unless Capture NX has some sort of registration process like Microsoft puts on its OS and Office products (which physically prohibits multiple computer installations) just go for it.

Like you say you are using only one copy at a time and it's none of Nikon's business which computer is involved.

A few years ago Intuit attempted to restrict the use of TurboTax to one computer. They caught so much flak that they backed off very quickly. Of course (unlike with Microsoft) there were alternative products out there.

I don't know exactly what Capture NX does that is its claim to fame but I can't imagine that it is so unique that Nikon would attempt a heavy handed Microsoft approach. Even Adobe, the market leader, doesn't attempt to restrict a person from installing on more than one computer.

I remember the Turbo Tax roar -- we were part of it! They backed off in a big hurry.

Actually, Adobe does do the Microsoft thing on some of their newer versions of programs--I'm pretty sure they do it with Indesign and Illustrator.

The key--at least as far as I'm concerned, it that I'm never running it on more than one computer at a time.

Thanks

Strict licensing terms usually indicate that a program can only be installed on one machine period, not used on just one at a time. Some software from folks such as Adobe and Microsoft have built in hashes of the hardware of the machine it is running on. If the same license fires up on another machine with significantly different hardware, the program can notify its creator of the conflict.

Use at your own risk. :)

For Camera Control Pro, the license agreement is

b) Use the full version of the SOFTWARE (?FULL SOFTWARE?) on up to two (2) of your own

computers upon valid purchase of a product key (?PRODUCT KEY?) for the FULL SOFTWARE

from Nikon (TRIAL SOFTWARE and FULL SOFTWARE, collectively ?SOFTWARE?); and

c) Make one copy of the FULL SOFTWARE in machine readable form solely for back-up

purposes.

for Camera Control 4 the license is as follows.

b) Use the full version of the SOFTWARE ("FULL SOFTWARE") only on any single computer

upon valid purchase of a product key for the FULL SOFTWARE from Nikon (TRIAL

SOFTWARE and FULL SOFTWARE, collectively "SOFTWARE"). You may not use the

SOFTWARE in connection with multiple systems, multiple central processing units,

networks, servers, or emulations on a main frame or mini computer, provided that you

may use the SOFTWARE on a single computer that is connected to a network or server so

long as the SOFTWARE cannot be accessed by other computers via such network or server;

and

c) Make one copy of the FULL SOFTWARE in machine readable form solely for back-up

purposes.

Download a trial of NX and see what the legal stuff says.

I know that with adobe, we are allowed to use our creative suite on only two computers,

(two ip addresses) when we bought a new system to replace an old computer, we actually

had to call adobe and have them change their records as when we went to install it the

adobe police residing in the computer, knew instantly that we tried to load our software

onto a third system. They are watching.

For a small design studio one of our biggest expenses is staying legal with our premium

software, and our computers. So when some grumpy clients complain about our costs or

hourly rates, we invite them to go out and buy the computers and the software and the

fonts themselves. Then of course we mention our education and life experience, and at

that point they ante up happily.

Garry what risk? The software companies (especially MS) are a bunch of real AH's in my opinion.

How many cases do you read about where some individual has been busted for installing an application on more than one computer? I've spent enough money over the last 25 years contributing to Bill Gates fortune only to have him deliberately obsolete what I have to make me buy the next version.

You must be an MS spokesman.

I have to admit that in the big software scheme Capture is a bargain. It won't do everything PS does but the things if does do, it does well and nearly automatically. Without it, fooling with raw files might be more trouble than they are worth.

The licence agrrement for Nikon Capture NX in Nikon Europe site says:

a) Use the trial version of the SOFTWARE (?TRIAL SOFTWARE?) on up to two (2) of your own computers for a period of thirty (30) days from the date of installation.

b) Use the full version of the SOFTWARE (?FULL SOFTWARE?) on up to two (2) of your own computers upon valid purchase of a product key (?PRODUCT KEY?) for the FULL SOFTWARE from Nikon (TRIAL SOFTWARE and FULL SOFTWARE, collectively ?SOFTWARE?); and

c) Make one copy of the FULL SOFTWARE in machine readable form solely for back-up purposes.

I think that it will be the same for US version of Capture NX as well.

• 4 weeks later...

In the US you may install Capture NX on 2 of your machines (please read the license for specifics-if you do not agree, you may not install the software). That means you can install them on 2 machines in your home or one in your home and business or 2 in your business.

That does NOT mean you can install it on your computer and your friend's computer. It also does not mean unlimited number of installations at either home or work. It also does not mean you can install it on a network and run it on multiple machines from the network.

Are we planning to go after you? No. We're not looking to prosecute individuals or companies. However, don't share your key and please don't use pirate software. We will go after bootleggers and other charlatans.

We do have an activation on first install but it is not as involved as either CS2 or MS products.

We do offer (in the U.S.) 24/7 Support for 363 days, or so, a year at no charge. There is currently no time limit on that support and as of today (always subject to change without notice), no plans that I am aware of to change that policy.

Plus you can always write directly to me with questions/conerns/compliments/contrapositives/complaints/recommendations/greetings/etc.)

Best,

Michael Rubin, Sr. Manager, Hardware & Software Applications, Nikon Inc., 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064

mrubin (at) nikon (dot) net

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First, thank you to Michael Rubin for responding. It is nice to see input from Nikon directly and demonstrates to me the strength of Photo.net.

Now, should we install Capture NX on more than two computers if the license says only two because we can? The obvious answer is no. Just because Nikon is a company not an individual, we are not entitled to defraud them of money for a product they created. We paid to install it on two computers and no more. It you do not like the terms of the license you should not have downloaded the software.

From the Nikon Capture NX download page, "This data [Capture NX] is protected by a Nikon License Agreement. Be sure to read the license agreement below before proceeding with the download. By proceeding with the download, you indicate your agreement to the terms of this License Agreement."

You can view the license agreement before downloading by using the link directly above the download link.

In the agreement, "By installing and/or using this SOFTWARE, you indicate your acceptance of this Agreement and are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, you are not authorized to install or use the SOFTWARE."

You can state all you wish against this license and make excuses for doing otherwise but the agreement and consent are still in force if you install the software. There are those who do not care and will do what they wish. It amazes me that those same people will scream the loudest when their photo is used outside of or contrary to a signed contract, and expect full compensation for their created work.

?[integrity] means doing the right thing even if no one is looking?,

William A. Cohen, The Critical Importance of Integrity, Canadian Manager March, 1999

Most digital-based photographers these days need two installations (stationary machine and the laptop for travel and field use). It's nice the manufacturers acknowledge this.

However, if Nikon could provide us with a better performing Capture NX, that would have pleased me much more. This must be the worst software in terms of performance that I ever have used. So slow that it is practically useless, and with an appalling user interface as well.

Bjorn,

I don't know what type of PC or Mac you use, but I haven't found Capture NX to be

significantly slower than Photoshop CS3. Both programs run at about the same speed on

my G5 Power Mac (reasonably fast) and on my Apple G4 iBook laptop (somewhat slow but

still usable).

My friend, who uses a two-year-old Dell laptop running Windows XP, had problems

initially trying to run Capture NX (very slow and sluggish) but those problems went away

when he upgraded to version 1.2 (he is now on version 1.3) AND more importantly,

upgraded his Microsoft .NET Framework to version 3.0 (I think he is now using Microsoft

.NET Framework version 3.5).

I've also read about other users who had trouble running Capture NX on their PC's until

they upgraded their Microsoft .NET Framework to version 3.0 (or higher).

Personally, I think Capture NX does a superior job in converting Nikon NEF files compared

to other RAW converters, and it's an easier and faster tool for making fine adjustments to

ones photos compared to Photoshop CS3 (even though Photoshop CS3 is still overall more

powerful and has a lot of great plug-ins for it -- which is why I still use Photoshop CS3 in

addition to Capture NX).

I'm running NX on a quad-CPU Windows 2000 and a dual-core Windows XP (laptop). On both NX is glacially slow. Takes 30 secs just to zoom into an opened image.

I don't want to clutter my computer with .NET in the first place and now I'm told that .NET v. 2 (installed by NX) also is no good. Give me a break. Don't the Nikon people do field testing of their software at all?

The .NET version is a moot point since "upgrading" it won't change that awful user interface with a file browser to match.

Also, the assumption that one is required to change a fully functional operating system, under which NX 1.3 already runs, to another just to make NX 1.3 run properly, is ridiculous. Thus, .NET 3.5 will demand that I "upgrade" my current Windows installation. No way. Nikon can make cameras and lenses, but they clearly cannot make good software.

Michael, thanks for the clarification.

Well I have your attention, I would like to point out a couple of bugs I have encountered with the latest version of NX. First, D-lighting on the D300 cannot be untoggled if it was set in the camera. Second, sharpening is disabled on the D3 if any exposure compensation is applied.

Any idea when we can expect these to be fixed?

Also, Thom Hogan suggests that those of us that got the free version of NX may end up being charged full price to upgrade to version 2.0, the same as if we had no version at all instead of a presumably lesser price for existing owners of the license to use the software.

Any idea how much it will cost those of us receiving the free NX with our D3 and D300 cameras to upgrade when the next generation of Nikon DSLRs comes out and cannot be opened with the current version of NX?

Yeah, I agree with Bjorn about the clumsy UI on NX. My biggest gripe is that I cannot just open the tool palettes the way I did with Nikon Capture 4 and leave them open so I can make adjustments on the fly. Instead, I have to click a palette, make changes, click another palette to make other changes; then if for instance I want to readjust the EC based on the changes I've made in contrast I have to select a different palette, and since they are not both open it makes moving back and forth between adjustment parameters slow and tedious.

I am an extremist. Whenever I am about to buy the new D300 or D3, I changed my mind because I can't stand using Capture NX, which supposedly gives the best skin color. Capture One 3.7 is almost as good but it does not support D300. Capture 4.00 also takes simplicity and elegance from 3.7 and turns it into clumsy interface. I am happily staying with 5D and C1 3.7.

• 1 year later...