underwater housing needed

My roommate has a Kodak CX 7525 point and shoot and has recently taken an

interest in freediving with me and my buddies. To my amazement, he approached

me today asking about an underwater housing for his camera, to which my reply

was google. About all we could find were Ewa Marine housings, a brand I have

personally seen destroy two cameras in the past. Ikelite had nothing, as did

Sea and Sea. Does anyone know of any housing for this model?

Have remembered where I saw the ad! Google DiCaPac and you will find their website. In Europe they cost about 40 EUR regardless of size (check www.fotowelt.elv.de) and fit approximately 400 different cameras. Hope this is of help.

I've gone down to about 40' with a D70 in a Ewa Marine bag. If you tighten the clamp down and make sure there's no debris/sand/hair in the seal, they seem to work as advertised. Insurance helps with the confidence, too. As they say, there two kinds of UW photographers: those who have flooded a camera, and those who will.

A used (or new old stock) Canon Powershot A-1 35mm camera is far less expensive than risking a digital camera in a non-specific underwater housing. Film is more sensitive than most P/S digital cameras' sensors. It's also less cumbersome. I'd encourage using a film camera in this endeavor.

While I agree that film is in general more sensitive than P&S digicams for a given noise level, you do get the benefit of additional depth of field with a P&S. The general slowness of P&S focusing is a drawback though, and something certainly worth considering. Overall I would disagree with the suggestion to use film, just given the fact that you can only take 36 shots before reloading. The ability to shoot tons of shots and discard later is hugely helpful. Check out wetpixel.com for more info as well as plenty of advice from UW shooters. Btw, I can't imagine an A-1 is more costly than insurance for a digital P&S...

All great responses and sound advice. Thanks a bunch. As far as the Ewa Marine housings go, I have found that its not the seal at the opening that is a problem, it is a flawed vent. Both occassions of flooding housings I have seen involved that very mechanism.