My First Album Design - please critique!

idobelieve

I just took a quick look through and I think you did a great job!

I really like page 3, but would like to see the three larger photos with some cositency in the effect (all normal color maybe?) and layed out in a long shot - middle shot - close up progression instead of how it is. The medium shot is also a little akward in the posing, her teeth look huge! Maybe replace that one with a different pose?

Michelle, first off you did a wonderful job designing the album! A general critique of the album is that there were a lot more pages devoted to formal/posed pictures than ceremony/reception/emotional moment pictures. While your choice between formal and a more photojournalistic style is completely yours, I found that your strongest pictures captured moments, emotions, etc. while your formals were like most formal portraits - somewhat bland. Pictures that make your potential clients smile and laugh are your best option at showing them that you can capture their wedding day.

With that in mind, I also have some more detailed critiques:

I found the pictures that you posted on the 4th page really detracted from your overall album. These are not your strongest photos. However, the photo of the bride laughing on the left side of the page bottom right is a great moment that you captured well. I would suggest emphasizing that photo instead of the slightly over exposed photo of what I assume is the groom with his parents. On these pictures, you have a tendency to chop the tops of the heads out of the picture which I find to be technically displeasing, with the exception of the laughing bride picture.

The rings in page five might look better if you made only the rings normal opacity and the rest of the hands faded as you have them.

I love the facial expression you caught in page 7 on the left side. I just love how you can see his and her facial expressions and the emotions they contain, even though you are shooting from behind. Excellent photo!

I think the picture of the bride biting the groom's ear in page 9 is wonderful! You might try switching that photo to the right side and making it the emphasized image. It has more emotion and is much more fun to look at.

I found the layout and pictures you choose for page ten to be a little chaotic. There doesn't seem to be a theme to what is going on, and the layout doesn't help to tie the photos together compositionally.

The cake pictures are fantastic, but you have a lot of them. I would suggest picking your favorite 3-5 photos and taking out the rest.

Overall, I would say that your album is great! However, since the album isn't for your clients and is an example album for potential clients, it is important to make sure that you have your strongest photos displayed. I found that your family formal portraits only served to detract from displaying your talent as a photographer and your ability to capture images that are both moving and emotional. As a bride, however, I think the couple whose wedding you photographed would be thrilled with the photos and the album you designed for them! Good job!

Awesome, job. Only minor point I would say is re Page17. Personally I would have given the

top two photos more punch with some extra contrast. Perhaps they are faded on purpose,

and/or perhaps contrasty images are just my preference. Either way I hope this was helpful.

Look forward to the next album.

I dont care too much for the layout on the first page. I think that it is a bit understated. Perhaps make the image of the ocean a little bigger, and/or play around with different fonts for the names and date. I really liked the layout of the rest. Very simple, and nothing's too crowded. I thought page 7 was very nicely done, and the only other criticism is the fingertips being cut off of the hands on page 5. Other than that, great start....a heck of a lot better than the first album I ever designed!

That is an incredible job for a first time out. You may not claim to be a graphic designer, but

you definitely have the eyes of one. Looks like you've got the photo talent and the graphic

designer's skill. If you've got the marketing savvy, you may be in for a good career as a

wedding shooter. Very impressive, Michelle.