Which companies are still producing?

eric_george2

http://www.mamiya.com/assets/pdfs/Mamiya_Cosmo_Digital.pdf

"Mamiya Transfers Camera and Optical Division

Elmsford, NY, April 24, 2006 ? Mamiya O/P has announced that it?s Optical Equipment Division,

manufacturer of the leading medium format cameras and lenses will be transferred to a new company.

The new company, Cosmo Digital Imaging Company, Ltd. was formed by Cosmos Scientific Systems,

Inc., a leading company in IT technology."

When will the HY6 be available? And what manufacturer's name will be on it?<br>It would be great to have at least one competitor still in the market. It will help speed the market along in the right direction (or vanish, depending on how they can stand up against the plethora of 'cheap' 35 mm based digital machines).

Franke & Heidecke would deserve to stay in the market and I hope they do. These people in Braunschweig really care for their customers, at least that is the experience that I have made. I hope that the Rolleiflex (or Sinar or ...) Hy6 will help to create a market for affordable full frame 6x6 digital backs.

Does anybody know if the Ukrainian Kiev cameras are still produced (I would not buy one but I have sympathy for these machines and even more for the technicians that are able to repair not only these but also Hasselblad 1000F/1600F cameras ;-)

Ulrik

"When will the HY6 be available? And what manufacturer's name will be on it?"

Q.G., the Hy6 is slated to come out in May and the last thing I heard (which was two weeks

ago) is that F&H is on schedual. The entire Hy6 design (both technical and cosmetical) is

finished now and line production will start in April, provided that all special tooling will be

available on time. Whoever's brand name will be on it, Franke & Heidecke will be the

manufacturer. It looks like there will be at least a Rolleiflex and a Leaf version of it. Since

Sinar is a distributor of Rolleiflex products now there is still a chance that there will be a

Sinar version, especially since the Sinar takeover by Leica bounced and Sinar stock

remained with Jenoptik. Jenoptik has been a driving force behind the Hy6 development.

Actually I couldn't care much, as long as there will at least be a Rolleiflex version. Just for

sentimental reasons.

Erik,<br><br>What if the, say, Sinar version costs considerably less than the Rollei version...? ;-)<br><br>Heard any rumour about the amount of money these things will cost yet? I do hope they are priced a bit more realistically (benchmark being the 35 mm based competition), and thus can help bring the prices of the competition down too.<br>If not, i fear for the future of MF digital.

Hi, Bueh,

GX680III, IIIs and GX645AF (another version of Hassy H1D) are still on the company's website and I've found no announcement of discontinuation of any of them.

Fuji even makes a dedicated digital back DBP for GX680.

"What if the, say, Sinar version costs considerably less than the Rollei version...? ;-)"

Q.G.,

Personally I hope Sinar will stay far away from selling the Hy6 under their name flag or I

fear very high prices. F&H has told me their price was planned to be around that of the

6008AF body, which is not outrageously expensive IMO. Lots cheaper than the Hasselblad

H cameras.

F&H is very much aware of the danger coming from 35mm chipcams. It is their major

concern and it is thus highly likely that they will price their system accordingly. Of course

digibacks will cost as much as their respective producers decide to, but at least the

platform carrying them is expected to be reasonably priced.

<blockquote><i>GX680III, IIIs and GX645AF (another version of Hassy H1D) are still on the company's website and I've found no announcement of discontinuation of any of them.</i></blockquote>

Interesting, I didn't know that. I thought the GX680 was looong discontinued. I couldn't find any information on these cameras on their international website, maybe they only offer them on the Japanese version. And that GX645AF sure sounds tempting...

Maybe Fuji's medium format cameras are more or less only for Japan. The market for film cameras in the US seems to be shrinking much faster than in Japan.

Although Hasselblad H series cameras and lenses are made in Japan, the Hassy version is updated to the third generation (H3D) while GX645AF seems to remain the first.

Hsselblad appears to have already abandoned the compatibility of the system with older generations, so I doubt purchasing of GX645AF (used to be the equivalent of H1D) is worth bothering.