Flash for K100D?

mw_rip

In the process of purchasing the K100D....wondering to what extent I will need a

flash as a beginner, if I should buy one now or wait a bit until I understand

the camera better. Will be in Europe in May with this camera, plan to take

mostly outdoor shots but occasionally indoor. Also, if the one they are

offering a rebate on (the AF-360FGZ) is good or another is recommended. Thanks!

The AF360FGZ is a very good flash:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/product--AF360FGZ/reqID--10014/subsection--flash

I'm a fan of more powerful flashes- particularly for use with DSLRs, where I'm more likely bounce the flash to use a diffuser to soften the flash light. I would recommend the AF540FGZ:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/product--AF540FGZ/reqID--6919653/subsection--flash

An accessory flashgun with bounce capability can really make a big difference, and this is a compelling reason to use an SLR rather than point & shoots that generally rely on tiny direct flash mounted near the lens. I picked the AF540FGZ mostly because of its swivel head, though sometimes the somewhat smaller & lighter AF360FGZ is attractive and capable as well. Use of the external flash requires some practice and technique, but can be well worth it. I find that I can simply point the head at the ceiling and fire away with pretty good results much of the time. The on-body flash is a poor substitute for most purposes. As for travel photography, I tend not to use it so much--I use it more for family & events.

-Andrew

Thanks for the advice. I think since one of the main reasons I like the K100D as an initial body is for travel due its smaller size and ease of use, and then factoring in cost and size of the different flashes, I'd have to go with the AF360FGZ for its compactness and price since no strong arguments were made against it. Now the question is, spend the money on the flash or buy an extra lens? (am planning on the 16-45 or 18-55, and 50-200 to start). Also, perhaps I should have started another thread for this, but I have read many of the threads on this site about lenses and while the 16-45 seems very popular and recommended, the kit lens appears to be 'acceptable'. Worth the extra money for the 16-45 for a newbie? Get the 16-45 instead of the flash? Also-general question, are teleconverters ever worth while, or all poor quality? I just discovered them... Sorry for pestering you all-suggestions welcome!

Well, since you value compactness, consider the 21mm Limited in the mix. No one but pentax makes anything like these superb lenses- part of the unique Pentax expeience. very high quality optics in an amazingly small design. With one of these you can actually fit the K100D into a large jacket pocket or sturdy built "fanny" belt pack.

In learning photography, it is important to learn shooting with non-zoom lenses, and shooting in manual mode, as well as manual focus. This trains your eye to focus and know what is going on, so when in auto, you can monitor what your camera is doing, and make meaningful changes.

The 18-55 and 50-200mm are compact for zooms. They are good lenses, especially the 50-200mm.

I understand the 360 flash is offered with an extra rebate if bought with camera. Yes, it is compact for a flash. It can be used as a wireless slave too if you get the 540 later.

You will find it hard to beat the 18-55 + 50-200 combination for price, weight, and performance. The 16-45 is a very nice lens, faster at most focal lengths and better edge-to-edge sharpness than the 18-55. That extra 2mm of wideness is noticeable. Also has better build quality that you can feel. Since you mention compactness, I will mention that it is substantially larger and somewhat heavier than the 18-55, and is only usable with the on-body flash at angles narrower than 24mm or so because at wide angles the front element extends substantially and will cast a shadow at the bottom of your images. This of course will not be an issue if you are using the AF-360FGZ. The other popular upgrade is the Sigma 2.8-4.5 17-70, also a very sharp lens with a very useful focal length range.

If you are interested in primes, as Michael mentioned Pentax offers some really nice ones, and they're very compact. A bit pricier than the zooms you've been mentioning but the DA21, DA40, and DA70 offer excellent image quality in very compact packages.

-Andrew