Interesting mention of M8 on Antartica expedition

Troll

" There were 5 Nikon users on the trip, with various bodies - mostly D200's. There were no reports of any Nikon problems or failures. "

you forgot to include the other relevant quote:

"As for why the majority of the camera failures seen on this trip were Canon, the answer is because 85% of the trip's members were shooting Canon. Simple statistics."

Wonderful story. At least they had a ship where they could recharge their batteries.

There is a good lesson here. A mechanical camera and film are good to have.

It is a good lesson for me when shoots lectures and theatrical performances. In the

middle of one of those you might as well be in Antarctica if the electronics blow and

you have no backup.

Film is a royal pain in the backside to edit, scan and Photoshop. But the only ways

you can blow film is if you don't wind it properly or if something screws up in

development.

Interesting about the M8 suddenly stopping dead. Mine has been just fine. It takes

an important shot to make a camera go silly.

"In all, 90 minutes of wet shooting produced six 1Ds MKII cameras which stopped working for one reason or another. Three of them recovered after a night of drying out. Three remained hors de combat for the rest of the trip."

So much for the sealed top-of-the-line Canon pro camera......maybe Leica's are better designed than people give them credit for.

<i> "Why would anybody expect a Nikon to fail? They have no charm at all, they're just like those boring Toyotas" </i>

<p> I guess if everyone on this expedition had only taken one camera and all had had paying clients for their photos, then the Nikon owners with their charmless hardware would have got paid. </p>

"Shooting" not "shoots" in my last posting.

I'm with David with regard to all that wonderful Canon equipment that couldn't take a light

drizzle. The old FD Canon equipment could.

If ever I get to go to the frozen bottom of the world, I am going to take a lot of slide film,

my Nikon F3 and Nikon F2. Certainly I'll pack a digital Nikon (which I don't have--this is

an imaginary journey, remember) , and maybe take my M8 (great when meeting the

penguins face to face). I would certainly pack a good telephoto zoom that could reach to

around 600mm (which I also don't have). My MacBook, big hanging hard drives, etc. I

would leave at home.

Maybe I'd take an M6 too. That's five cameras? Hmm. I'd also take my wife. She could

carry the M6, plus offer intelligent advice when my equipment or someone else's went ka-

plooie.

I mentioned this on the other thread about this article--one guy had only 3 rolls of film for the entire trip because the rest was lost in his checked luggage at the airport. No mention of why a knowing photographer would've put any film in checked bags in the first place, the CT scanners fog it.

To me what's disturbing is how a bunch of supposedly knowledgeable photographers would manage to screw up so much of their expensive gear, included in that group being the guy who writes reviews and expects people to accept his authority ;-) Didn't they know a 5D isn't weather-sealed? Why didn't they use EWA-marine housings or the like? Did they use non-L or older L lenses without the rear o-ring on their 1Ds bodies? Why didn't any of the Nikon D200s fail in the same conditions--are we asked to conclude that the cameras better...or would it be equally possible they were just carried by smarter people in this case? I guess it's true, nobody can make something totally foolproof because there's no limit to what fools will do ;-)

VP, It is entirely possible that Nikon asked the reviewer not to disclose anything about any particular flaw that they were already well aware of.

If someone exposes that, the whole thing would be easily turned around with a simple footnote.

Stay tuned.

My concern is why do they allow overloaded tourist snappers on Antartica?

All I can say is I love film and mechanical cameras upon reading this article.

With something that is very rarely said on this forum board, "Thank you for posting."

I enjoyed reading the article nonetheless. That would be a very enjoyable trip no doubt....

Best regards

C

"It is entirely possible that Nikon asked the reviewer not to disclose anything about any particular flaw that they were already well aware of.

If someone exposes that, the whole thing would be easily turned around with a simple footnote.

Stay tuned."

LOL.........who would ever do such a thing!!

From the Luminous Landscape website:

"In addition to internationally renowned photographer, educator and author Michael

Reichmann, five other world-class photographers and digital imaging experts will be

onboard to act as your guides, consultants and teachers."

Mr. Reichmann then goes on to say that he shot 7024 frames resulting in 92 images that

were worth printing and 6 images that were portfolio material. That translates to a 1.3%

and 0.09% success rate for a three week trip.

With numbers like that, the camera failure rate would be the least of my concerns.

Who cares if the Nikons kept working. The images people captured with them are still Nikon images, which don't really count.

I'm sure it was the crap factor....I mean...the crop factor of Nikons that had something to do with it.

Andy - It's not "simple statistics". Ignore the M8 failures (not the primary cameras of anyone on the trip). There were 15% non-Canon shooters on the trip (10% were Nikon, 5% Blad). The simple statistics are that 100% of the 11 failures (6 1Ds II, 3 5D, 2 rebel) were Canon, and 0% (not 15%) were Nikon and Blad.

Of course, less simple statistics would tell us that the sample sizes are two small.

Hey Nels, it's Leica shooters like you that give all of us a bad name.