Autocord

abraxsis

Hello Everyone,

Im new to the forum, and relativly new to the world of photography. I started with a nice Canon P&S about

a year ago and over and over I was taking what I felt to be pretty darn good pictures. After a few day long

jaunts around the area with my camera I was hooked. I am captivated by the thought of being able to

freeze a moment in time, though not only freeze it, but freeze it in a cocoon of creativity, a unique vision.

I have always leaned toward artistic photography, the whole "art for art's sake" mentality. So thats a little

background about me. OK, sorry to bore you with the banter.

I stepped into the world of MF via a Holga 120CFN, and again I was hooked. Vibrant colors, breathing

taking contrast, and personally there is just something uplifting about stepping outside of our current

world of Digitial perfection. So naturally the next logical step (in my mind) is a TLR, and after much

searching and researching, I settled on trying for an Minolta Autocord. Actually I won one yesterday for

72.10 on eBay (still up if youd like to look http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270093192896&rd=1&rd=1 )

and I feel I got a good deal. The camera looks to be in excellent shape for its age, and I am considering

sending it off for a CLA once it comes in. My question is this, other than debris, light leaks, etc. in the

pictures, is there anything in particular I should look for once I get it? I would love to just dust it out

instead of having to send it off, but Im not completely up to speed on all the ins and outs of TLR's. Any

suggestions? Also, if I did enough research and read all the repair manuals would it be possible for me to

do my own CLA on this item without special gear? I am very mechanically inclined so its just a natural

instinct to want to try and do stuff myself, lol

Thanks,

Walt

Walt,

Congratulations, the Autocord is a fantastic camera! I liked the first one I go so much I bought a second one so I could shoot B&W and chromes. The biggest issue with the Autocord is that the lube used in the focus mechanism turns to glue over time. Don't try to force the lever, you can break it and then have to pay for the repair. If it doesn't move or is stiff don't mess with it. If you want to take some pictures give it a shot and move the camera to bring your subject into focus. If it hasn't had a CLA recently it will probably need one. I would strongly suggest you send it to Karl Bryan-he did a fantastic job on both of my Autocords with a very fast turn around time. Each one was less than $100 and it only took a day or two for him to fix them up and send them back. Do a search for his name and TLR here on Photo.net and the last post has his current e-mail. Have fun!

Scott

The whole CLA business is unique to each individual camera. If the camera in question

was kept in a leather case, sitting on a closet shelf for 20 years with little change in

humidity or temperature, it might work just as well as when it was put away.'

The lubes of the 1960s were not as good as today, but some of them were very, very

good. A lot depends on what the camera manufacturer used, or the last person who did a

CLA. Remember there was a huge difference between the late 1940s and the early 1960s

in terms of technology. In perhaps 12 years things changed dramatically as we moved into

the space age. Lubes were one of the first things to see significant advancements.

That said, listen to the shutter speeds over the entire range. They should be consistent

and smooth. Rack the focusing mechanism in and out slowly so that you can both feel and

listen for tight spots or noise.

Absent any obvious problems, go ahead and use the camera as it came to you. If a

problem develops, stop, get it CLA'd. I have 45 year-old Rolleis that work fine and

haven't been CLA's in the 20 years I've owned them.

The Minolta Autocord was one of the near-top-line cameras of its day and very rugged. It

was the best TLR made in Japan. The Yashicamat was the best of the lesser expensive

models and today you can't go wrong with either one of them.

Hi Again,

Thanks for the responses. Someone else asked alot of these questions and the seller

posted the reponses to the auction ...

NO SCRATCHES [on the lenses] THAT I SEE. NOT FAMILIAR W SEPERATION IN LENSES. I

THINK I SEE ONE SPOT OF FUNGUS W SHUTTER ON B. NO OIL ANYWHERE THAT I KNOW OF.

[shutter] BLADES OPEN & CLOSE OK. I SEE NO SCRATCHES OR CRACKS IN THE FILM

CHAMBER. FOCUS MECHANISM IS VERY SMOOTH [jackpot :P]. THIS CAMERA HAS NOT BEEN

USED SINCE THE LATE '70'S.

According to the listing this was a direct from manufacturer (or a direct import) purchase,

and has been a one owner camera. Im still dumbfounded that I got this camera for 72.10.

It has leather case, a tripod adapter, original manual, and a Vivitar 102 flash. I just noticed

that it is an Andale auction and they remove picture links shortly after the auction ends, so

you guys can't see it. But it truly is in amazing condition. Ive seen other camera only

auctions for the same item go for double that. I wonder if it was because she listed it in

the 35mm > Minolta category instead of the Medium Format/120 > Minolta?

Again, hanks to those who have posted, and thanks in advance to those who will post. I

appreciate all the help, advice, and knowledge I can get.

Walt

Walt,

Sounds like you did great! I'm very jealous;) The first Autocord I won off of eBay I returned because the camera sent wasn't the one in the picture, which was mint, and it wasn't even the same model. It was a beater. The magnifying glass had been replaced and didn't even focus on the ground glass but the focus was really smooth. The next two I got looked to be in much better shape but needed the old lube removed and replaced with fresh and one of them needed the focus lever repaired. Karl also checks the focus, disassembles and cleans the lens, the entire camera actually. It's worth contacting him, if he looks at the camera and it doesn't need any work he wont charge you. I'd get your film so you can use it as soon as it shows up:)

Congratulations on a great deal!

Scott

Karl also did the CLA on my Autocord. Fast turnaround, and I had him replace the leather with the cheap replacement from Camera Leather. Other than a few blemish's on the metal, it now looks great. One caution, don't move the shutter speed to 500 while the shutter is cocked, it's not good for the mechanism. Enjoy it, it's a great camera.

Walt,

Getting anxious?

Mine is about 5 5/8" high, 4 3/4"wide and 4" deep. With the WLF open it is just over 8" high. You are really going to like it. Let us know when it shows up and how you like it. Some people don't like the reversed image in the WLF but I tried TLRs after large format where the image is inverted AND reversed. TLRs are a piece of cake after that-unless your are shooting action;)

Scott

Scott

<p>Great find. I paid around $150 for an Autocord six months ago. No regrets. Mine does need a CLA mainly because the shutter is not accurate in the slower speeds, but it seems accurate enough in the faster speeds to tolerate for now. I just use this camera for fun.

<p>The one problem I've had is that the frame counter only goes up to 12, and after that the camera thinks that the film is done and no longer gives resistance in the film winder when you get to the next frame. For the first few rolls, I figured that was it and just wound the film to the end at this point -- only to realize when I developed it that there was enough film for about 4 more shots. So now I guesstimate how far to turn the crank and for how many additional shots. I'm not sure if this is a flaw or just the design. Maybe just something to watch out for.

So my camera came in, and it was in excellen condition. Everything worked, just needed a

little cleanup. Focus worked fantastic. Then when I swung by to show it to my mom disaster

struck. The aperture leaves wont move and the shutter wont fire, I honestly dont know what

happened. The seller wont take it back because it worked when she mailed it, it was insured

but I dont know if i was soehting USPS did or not. I contacted Karl Bryan regarding a repair,

but Im betting its going to cost a nice chunk of change. Didnt even get to run a single roll of

film through it.

Thats what I get for getting excited.

Walt,

A couple of things off the top of my head. First, and I hope this is it because it is a really easy fix: there is a locking mechanism on the shutter button. There is a metal collar around the base of the shutter button, if the dot on the shutter release lines up with the dot on the collar the shutter will not fire. Rotate the metal collar so these don't line up anymore and you should be golden. Second, I've had bad luck with the self timers on these jamming. But if I set it again and kind of chase the lever with my finger the shutter will fire.

It will not cost a lot to get it fixed if you go that route. I've got over $200 in each of my Autocords, eBay+CLA. You did great on eBay, a CLA won't kill the deal! But it sounds like the camera was well cared for-I'm hoping your shutter is locked!

Scott

Well the shutter is def. screwed. The aperture blades just turn in an open circle when I move through the settings. I think the whole shutter assembly is screwed. I dont know what in the world happened, probably just bad luck, its been known to happen. Karl said 55.00 to replace the shutter assembly, so its not too bad. But like I said, everything on the camera is pristine. The reflecting mirror is a little spotted up but not enough to hurt anything. (I have a friend who's dad makes custom mirrors for houses, so I think he can replace it with a higher quality mirror) I also found a site that showed me how clean all the lens myself, took me maybe 10 minutes, so now the optics are perfect. I also ordered a leather set for it (Maroon, should make for an awesome looking camera) With everything as it is, I should be out maybe 150.00 for my Autocord and it be in darn near perfect shape. I figure the red leather should allow it to fetch a few more dollars in the event I sell it later on down the road.