Help Please! - How far should the lights be from the subject?

sting1

I have 2 x Bowens Gemini 500w/s lights (Travel Pack kit, if that helps?), one

used with a 60x80 softbox. i use 90cm silver/whte umbrellas.

Q. Could someone please tell me the approximate distances in which to use these

lights (using standard light configuration) for portrait of between 2-6 people.

Many thanks.

Typically, nearly as close as practical, just outside the camera's field of view. For a given sized modifier, the closer the lights are, the softer and brighter the light will be.

<p>

The disadvantage to closeness is that the light will fall off more. I.e. if you have a key light to the left, the difference in brightness between the leftmost person and the rightmost person (neither in shadow) will be greater if the light is close than if it's far. You can mitigate this somewhat by feathering the light, so that it's more directly pointed toward the far person, and the closest person is in the edge of the light's beam. Or you can move the lights a bit further than the closest possible position.

<p>

The disadvantage to distance is that the light is harder, and dimmer overall.

Sting-- Bruce and Richard are right on in their descriptions of light placement. As a Playboy photographer I once assisted for would say, "If you aren't cussing at your lights for being in the way of the shot, then they aren't close enough to the subject or the angle of view."

Happy shooting. -BC-

Well, the first 3 replies are all correct (also, please see this thread) http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KEkt&tag= but I don't think that's the question. If I'm reading it correctly, the OP wants to know how far away to position the lights, possibly assuming that there is some kind of textbook 'correct position'.

There isn't. If you want soft lighting, you place it close. If you can't place it close you need bigger lights to get a similar effect at greater distances. If you don't want the lighting to be soft it becomes easier, because you don't need the lights to be as close.

The rule "The closer the better" isin't necesarily true, It's relative to the subjects size. Of course moving the light source closer to your sebject does make it "bigger", it does make your light more contrasty; which is ok, if that's the looks you're going for. If you have a large light source ( like an oversized softbox or octobox ), having your light source can take shape and detail away from the subject. IMHO, a large light source, not so close gives a professional feel to the photo. You get the big, to give you soft light and more ever lighting.

Plus, you have more shooting room !! :P

Jared