Nature Trekker AW II

OR

Kata :

R-103

HB-207

I need 2 Cameras + many zooms and lenses + food , something to drink , tripod,

clothes ...

thank you

Just to clear up a little more, is this simply a looking hike, or are you looking at actual back packing (over nighting with no car/van to supply you)? If you are back packing forget a camera backpack of anytype and get an actual hiking pack, get what you need for backpacking in there and then use any left over room or weight for camera gear.

I am not familiar with the Kata bags. I think that either the Photo Trekker or the Pro Trekker should meet your needs. Water bottles can be attatched to the outside. I am thinking of picking up one of these bags for the same reason...to carry my camera gear while hiking and enjoying the outdoors. I am also looking at some of the Tamrac bags.

Wayne

<p>Even for day hikes I reccomend usinng a regular top loading sack style backpack for camera gear. Use something like a Crumbler Bucket and or Billinghan (or others) pouches to hold your camera gear in the backpack. I'm using Op-Tech neoprene pouches for my lenses and other camera gear bits. The <a href="http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48111560&parent_category_rn=9986490">REI QUICK UL 45</a> is the type of backpack I'm sugesting.

<p>The reason I say go to a regular backpack is the suspension on all camera bags I've seen sucks. They really don't do anything to transfer the weight to your hips. They place to much weight on your sholders to be comfortable for more than a couple hours. They also do nothing to bind down the load so it doesn't shift. Yes using a regular backpack makes getting your camera gear out a little slower, but you can use lens cases on the backpack's belt to hold quick access items for opportunity shots. I use Tamrac's N-11 backpack to camera straps to hang my camera off the backpack's sholder strap. That way I don't have a neck strap choking me. For rain or stream fording I use a dry bag inside the backpack. If you really feel the need for more padding you can cut up a sleeping pad to line the inside of the backpack. I use a 18" x 24" piece to line the outside of mine when I don't have any more than my clothing layers for the day. If I have a complete change of clothes that usually serves as the padding around the outside.

<p>Another advantage of a top loading backpack is if you forget to close it up it isn't that likely to spill stuff out.

The latest backpacks from Kata are excellent. I recently purchased the Kata HB-205 as my Lowepro Mini Trekker wasn't deep enough for my EOS 5D with grip. It's a very impressive bag and is very comfortable even when fully laden. If you want the additional room, the HB-207 offers some additional space. The BP-502 is huge.

I did look at the new Vertex range of backpacks from Lowepro that were on show at Focus-on-Imaging, our UK photographic show. They are a series of three backpacks (100, 200 and 300), each very boxy in shape but very capacious. All of the Vertex range are deeper to accommodate the latest DSLRs with grip attached. There's plenty of storage for cameras and lenses, a laptop compartment and plenty of storage for digital bits and bobs. Each also has a full harness and waist belt.

Reasons for choosing the Kata:

Build quality: The bag feels very solid and the padding is substantial. Zips are really strong and the pack feels really well put together. The bag is designed to offer great protection for the kit inside.

Ergonomics: Unlike the Lowepro Vertex, the Kata feels more ergonomic. The harness fits well and distributes the weight effectively. I weigh just 55kg and can carry well over 12kg easily.

Other design features: I like the separate rain cover. Black on one side, silver on the other so it can be used on hot days to reflect heat away from the kit inside. There's a really substantial tripod holder and two accessory straps for mounting a tripod. There's a large pocket on the front of the lid and two smaller ones. The small ones are great for batteries and memory card wallets. The larger one easily holds a 580 EX with some additional bits.

Some Kata backpacks allow access to the main camera and lens without opening the whole pack. Some have a laptop compartment. All have an excellent harness.

I'm pleased with mine and wholeheartedly recommend these packs

The Kata HB205 holds my 5D with 70-200 f/2.8, 100mm macro, 24-105 f/4, 17-40 f/4, 580EX, MR14EX, 1.4+2x extenders, 25mm extension tube, ST-E2 transmitter, Anglefinder C, exposure meter, and a few other bits besides. The HB-207 is a bit bigger. Both will accommodate the likes of the 100mm macro and the 24-105 f/4 end on rather than lengthways, so the bag swallows quite a lot. It sounds like you want to look at the HB-207 (which has a little more space, or the even larger bag. The larger bag will appeal a lot as it has access to the camera and attached lens without opening up the whole bag. It can hold a laptop too, as can the HB-207.

I hope this has been useful.

Jo