A bag question for Domke owners

johnyeatts

I don't have a Domke bag to test in my area, so I have a couple of questions for

all of you Domke bag owners out there:

1) Will a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR fit into an F-2? Is there a better Domke bag for

this lens? I have searched this forum and it sounds like this particular lens

will sort of fit, but juts out the top. Is this accurate? Is the fit so tight

that I will have to worry about the lens not being protected enough from bumps, etc?

2) Will an F-2 fit in most overhead bins in planes? How about in puddle jumpers?

Can it fit under the seats?

I am essentially looking for a good bag for my system, which is a D70, 17-55DX,

70-200 VR, a Gitzo tripod and RRS ballhead and few sundy items (memory card,

polarizer, etc. I have been toting a Lowepro Mini Trekker around for quite some

time. I really liked the bag (although it was a bit too large), but it was a

backpack and as such I just didn't shoot enough. Something about having to set

the bag down and get out the camera.

I tend to shoot whenever - no specific focus. I do hike around a bit but not

terribly frequently. The Domke F-2 appealed to me because it sounded like it was

a great bag to work out of.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

John

I own this bag and it's great. On my Paris trip it held my Leica M2, Nikon N8008, Nikon 105mm, 50 1.4 and 28mm Lens, as well as My Holga and about 40 rolls of film, bith 120 ans 35mm. A mini tripod, & Gossen Luna Star meter. Heavy but great.

I don't use an F-2. But I do use a Domke J-2 series shoulder bags for a kit that size. Not counting the tripod, which I don't carry in a bag.

Works fine for me. As fine as any shoulder bag. Personally, I prefer backpacks for anything but an event where I am working (wedding etc).

The Domke F2 is great, I have two of them but you cannot count on it to fit the overhead

bin of small aircraft - depends on the plane of course but It can be very tight or not fit at

all. Does fit under the seat in front of you. The 70-200 might stick out the top a bit. I

have the Tokina 80-200 2.8 and it is comparable in size to the Nikon. I've carried it in the

Domke but I would not do it if I was expecting to put it in the overhead bin of a small

plane! Having said that, the F2 can fit TONS of gear, especially if you're just carrying it and

don't need to use it till you get there. Btw, I have a Lowe microtrekker and lately I use that

for hauling the gear on the flight and thru the airports, but then I put all the gear in the

Domke which I take in my checked baggage.

I found the F2 just slightly too tight for fitting a D200, 70-200 and 17-55 with lens hoods on (which makes for faster out of the bag shooting) It is perfect for when I am using the 18-200 and 12-24. If I was to buy again I would have gotten the next larger bag. Also carry flash etc with it.

Otherwise it is a very comfortable bag to use.

The problem with most Domke bags is the inserts, which are mostly too small fot the likes of

the 17-55 and 70-200 zooms, esp with shades mounted in reverse.

But the Domke J-series has moveable partitions that allow for the larger zooms.

Since you're talking about just the 17-55 and 70-200, take a look at the Domke J-3.

The problem I have is that my system really isn't big enough to warrant lugging something as big as an F-1x around. I only have two lenses and a non-pro body and a few misc items. I fear that if I went a size up from the F-2 I would be lugging around a mostly empty bag. And I don't think the J-3 comes in canvas, which is part of the reason I wanted a Domke bag in the first place. I am just going to order one and see how it works out. I can always custom build foam inserts to accomodate my gear. The bag itself is large enough volume wise to accomodate my gear even if spacially the prefab foam insert don't arrange things quite right spacially.

Another possibility it that I could simply remove the divider between two of the compartments to create a 3-compartment insert (in this pic I could cut the divider out that separates the two compartments at the bottom of the screen. I may be seeing things wrong, but the lens would probably "sit down" part of the way into, and at least not stick out of, the bag if I did that (although it probably wouldn't lay flat). See attached pic of the bag with a 70-200 2.8 VR inserted.<div>00KDzl-35336784.jpg.52cbbff84ccc7da4d832fcec62f1b2ed.jpg</div>

Of course you can cut the insert wall. Or you can buy the standard insert already configured that way...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=16066&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Also, you can add the 1-compartment standard insert to better protect your camera body...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=16060&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Or...since you don't like the ballistic exterior...you can buy the J-typoe insert with moveable partitions...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=149440&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Thanks, Ken. Those are great ideas. Not sure why the J-type insert is only a "J-type" insert. Looking at the dimesions compared to the normal insert, the J-type is only 1/2 inch longer.

I guess what I am trying to say/ask is the J-type insert will work just fine inside an F-2, won't it?

Absolutely. I've currently have the J-type insert in the canvas F1x. Also tried it in the canvas F-3x. No problem. I haven't tried it in the F-2, but I will tonight and let you know. I have no doubt it will since all these particular bags are made to interchange inserts.

John - I tried the inserts in my canvas F-2. Both the J-type insert and 1-compartment insert

(links above) together perfectly fill up the space in the F-2. Velcro strips line up perfectly,

too.

I think the Domke literature is a little misleading about the J-type insert. They mean to say

the insert is the one that comes standard with the J bags, not that they can't be used with the

canvas F bags.

Best of luck.

I have the F1x and live out of this bag. John, you asked about the backpack straps and they are great once you position them right. They are comfortable with a full load and easy to load/unload as long as nothing snags on it like a bulky photo vest or body armor. I also rigged a domke belt to the bag to give it a better feel and keep the bag closer to my body while on the move.

So went to the store today and lo and behold they had quite a few Domke bags, including the 30th anniversary F2, which looked sweet. Try as I might, though, I just couldn't figure out how I was ever going to make my D70, 70-200 VR, and 17-55 DX fit in that bag. I removed the dividers, fumbled around, etc for an hour. The guy behind the couter shaked his head and said no way. Then the guy brought out a Billingham Packington. I gasped at the price. I gasped at the style. Then he put my gear in, and I wore it around. Wow. What a bag. Perfect. So comfortable.

I bought it. I really wanted and liked that Domke F2, but it just doesn't work well for the bigger lenses. That Billingham is like an Aston Martin.

I posted the following in response to a question asked on the Nikonians website. It still holds true for me and may be some help to John.

I use a Domke F-2 bag with a 3-compartment Domke insert that I bought separately. I carry a D200 (sometimes with my MB-D200 attached) and Tokina 12-24 attached. I carry this vertically with the lens down in the middle compartment of the insert. I carry my 70-200VR laid horizontally in front of the insert with a large squeeze bulb on top of it. The insert is attached by its velcro to the inside back of the bag and doesn't move around at all. In the other 2 pockets of the insert I carry my 18-70mm, my Canon 500D close-up lens and several memory cards. I have a small notebook, lens tissue, spare battery, reading glasses, etc., in pockets of the F-2 and still have the end pockets and one of the front pockets empty for other stuff that I may need to carry on a trip or wherever.

It's a load, but the bag closes fine and works very well that way.