Outdoor Studio

ron_crawford1

Hello,

I have been contemplating building a "back yard" studio for the

purpose of taking outdoor type portraits with medium format camera.

I would be interested in hearing from any who have undertaken this

sort of project before and could offer any advice or refer me to any

printed material on the subject. I have several ideas in mind for

props, but am particularly interested in dertermining which direction

to face them. Say for example, if I build a split rail fence; which

direction should the fence run in relation to the sun (cardinal

directions)? Your help, ideas or referals would be greatly

appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Dogonit, I can't remember the name of a good portrait book, and I have several. :(

What you should think about is how to photograph the person, and then place the props accordingly. If it is something quite fixed, like a fence, then your shooting options will be limited unless you build two of them (sun in front/sun in back) or it is actually moveable.

good day Ron.It's nice to hearing someone to do this kind of project instead of going after the most powerful studio strobes.I don't have any experience in this kind of studio but I have read a book on Lord Snowdon of England who uses this kind of setup.Instead of a permanant setup instead of directions of blinds, how about a more simple set up of frames that allow the hanging of different kind of diffusing material to control the sunlight at different time of the day.Another book I would like to mention is "the studio" of life library of

photography .It illustrate the setting up of studio in different situation and location.One of them is the use of a very simple tent set up by Irving Penn.

good luck and enjoy .

Robert

I have done a bit of portrait work outside, and have found it to be somewhat harder than studio work (less direct control) but it is fun and challenging. I don't use a lot of props, mostly things like patio furniture, picnic tables, hay bales etc. The real key to making this stuff work is, as others have suggested, to make sure that the stuff is portable. When you work outdoors you put the elements of your photo, props and subject, where they can make the best use of the sunlight. Period. Fixed props may not be where you want them at certain times of the day.

FWIW: Keep your eye on the shadow cast by your camera and tripod. The sun will creep along as you shoot, and if it's a long session then it may be necessary to reposition your set part way through.

Also, you should try and provide a cool spot for your subject to sit when there's a break in the action. Shade is good, air conditioned is better. If you leave 'em baking out in the noon day sun they will quickly lose their enthusiasm for being photographed, plus if they start to sweat they quickly become less photogenic.

The first studio I worked for directly out of school had a quarter acre outdoor shooting area. The grounds where divided up into 5 theme areas. All props where permanently fixed and some where even functional. (E-mail me and I will give a list of all props) Here was the secret to the great photo�s produced from this setting. SURPLUS ARMY PARACHUTES. Each area had at least one draped over the entire shooting are. The shoots where transparent white and worked great for eliminating the harsh sun. When I started my own studio and created a outdoors shooting area I purchased a shoot from my local surplus store for $175. The best investment I ever made.