London photo ops and galleries - suggestions?

To my fellow p-netters from London.

I just booked a last minute flight to London.

Leaving Friday night from Toronto, arriving Saturday morning.

The goal is to hit some art galleries and take some nice pictures in the street

with the M7.

I won't post the usual cry - "which lens should I bring" and all that. I'm

traveling light so I am limiting myself to just the 35 cron asph. and one pair

of underwear. Okay, okay, that's disgusting! I better bring two lenses ;)

I would love to have some input on the galleries. I will hit the usual suspects

but would love to hear about smaller stuff with interesting photography exhibits.

Also, direct me to some interesting areas to take pictures - street shooting and

maybe some interesting architecture. This part will probably be very easy as I

am sure that to a Toronto bloke like me, everything in London will be

interesting and worth a photo.

Looking forward to a visit to such a beautiful city and to your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Charles

Charles, I would definitively pay a visit to Bricklane, the indian aerea, (outside and around

Aldgate East or Whitechapel tube stations) on sunday (market day),

for street shooting, and to the GLA building, which is the glass building outside Tower

Bridge, where our "beloved" mayor stays,

for architecture, I think you can only access it once a month, first sunday of the month,

so you should be lucky...

I'll try to think about other interesting places (plenty in London) and let you know...

PS Bring a coat and some high speed film too, the weather here has not been the best of

late

(cloudy rainy windy...).

Enjoy London

Regarding galleries The Photographers Gallery is small but has high quality exhibitions - National Portrait Gallery - It does what it says on the label - Tate Modern is HUGE!!, but a must see IMHO - you may think that some of the installations/paintings/pictures are not your cup of tea, but you will come out of the place exhausted physically and mentally - and the sheer scale of the place!! - a superb visit!

One of my favourite walks with a camera is on a Sunday morning along the south bank of the Thames from Waterloo, past the Tate Modern and Tower Bridge to Butlers Wharf. You get everything from street entertainers, national monuments, a book market, pubs, riverside scenes, famous naval vessels from the 16th century (replica) to the 20th C (real), one of the greatest modern art collections in the world and some great people. Walk over the Millennium Bridge and take pictures of the gallery itself.

Nick

<p>Try the <a href="http://www.photonet.org.uk/index.php?latest">Photographer's

Gallery</a> in Great Newport Street. Fantastic bookshop too, with lots of hard to find titles.

</p>

<p>For street shooting, consider Camden Town and Notting Hill in the daytime, and Soho in

the evening. They're all great places at the weekend - lots of people, some of them very

interesting.</p>

Borough Market by London Bridge / Southwark Cathedral is a great place for street photography, as well as fantastic food (plenty to sample and the best street food in town). From there you can walk along the south bank of the river past the Globe to Tate Modern, then over the bridge to St Paul's. Weather for this Saturday is meant to be OK - Sunday will be wet, so perhaps plan to reserve the galleries for then.

The Victoria and Albert also has a photo exhibition that is worth seeing. And you also get to check out the big museums along Cromwell Road. Harrod's and Knigtsbridge just down the street. You will have a lot of fun with a minimalist kit ... save the West End for the evening when the lights just make for a riot of color. If it should happen to rain or drizzle, don't let that stop you ... the lights and colors on wet nights make for awesome photo ops. Just plan to bring a all weather gear and a jacket you can tuck your camera into.

I found street photography in London fruitful (I kinda prefer it to the usual tourist shots of Tower bridge etc.) Try the Inns of Court just east of Oxford Street and west of The City. I found lots of photo opps - Barristers in wigs trudging off to the royal courts of justice and the Old Baily, lovely old (regency period??) brick Chambers buildings, gas lit (yes you read that right) lamps in the courtyards, the Temple church (a la "The Da Vinci Code." This kind of out of the way area is full of history - the unwritten kind that I find much more enthralling in some ways than the story of kings and queens. Try walking down through Lincoln's Inn Field past the court buildings over Fleet Street to Middle Temple and Inner Temple and from there to the embankment along the Thames - which in itself is a whole photo opp.