Quick business trip around the world.. need your Leica advice..

Two Leicas and two lenses. Buy your film at home so you won't have to waste time looking for film. Pack it in a small Domke and carry onboard - Do Not Check camera gear.

Take some good walking shoes.

BTW I'm available as executive assistant!

My experience, if you bring your Canon digital camera, then you won't use your Leica for

most of time. Unless you have a M8 or you committed to yourself that you have to use it.

Digital camera does brought a lot of convience in technology except their size. The Leica

gave a lot of convience in size but not the technology.

My advice, bring Canon or Leica. Don't drive yourself crazy bring them all. You will tired

yourself, make yourself clumsy and end up not using half of the equipment. Bring only one

system and focus the your moment with it.

I'll repeat what I wrote to Matt about basically the same question. Take the Leica and the 35--unless you're a pro photographer who needs

lots of equipment for various assignments. On my first trip to Europe (rural Switzerland and in-town Paris), I took a Leitz-Minolta CL with 40 and 90mm lenses and Kodachrome 64. Used the 40mm lens 90% of the time and was completely satisfied. No fussin' around changing lenses, and light weight too. With the 35 and very good film you can crop the images

if need be and still get good quality. Less is more!

My advice to you regarding photography in Moscow is to be a little cautious. I reccomend

covering the red dot and the Leica name. Two friends have had incidents. One was just a

little blackmail for using a parking space and the other was threatened with his life for

money. We traveled in a large group and had no problems. Have fun!

Richard, good point!

I do keep a few strips of electrical tape on the back of the camera for such times. I do plan on keep the camera slung on my shoulder, under a jacket, instead of around my neck.

At this point, it's the M6, and my little FXZ5 Lumix that are making the trip :)

...and a freak load of film. :)

thanks again all!

Joel -

I've been to every one of those cities except Moscow, both on US Government business and for personal travel.

One camera - - ONE LENS, preferably the 35mm. Otherwise, at dinner time, you'll be sweating out where to leave your additional stuff. On the street, you'll be carting around more than you should in strange enviornments.

You should be able to buy Fuji film at all of your scheduled stops. For B&W, take Tri X, For Color prints, Fuji 400 Super. It's tolerant of various lighting types and can be pushed.

First rule of travel on a multi-country itinerary - - - KISS!

George (The Old Fud)

Joel-- Re passing tri-x film through security x-rays-- I'll defer to those who have not had ruined film even after ten or more passes (the European security people claim their machines use less xray than US)... Another strategy though is to have a good BW lab hand develop your film. I decided to try this in Paris at ARKA-DUPON 52 Rue Notre Dame des Champs (south of Jardin de Luxembourg in the 6th Arr. They were terrific. Not cheap at 10 Euro a roll, but I knew I'd taken a lot of good shots and didn't want to chance fogging even after six potential xray passes, and they also mail back to US. Something like this as a back-up strategy might be worth considering. (Dupon gave me better developed negs than I get in NYC). With your schedule I'd figure out realistically how many hours free I would have and try to not bring more film than you can shoot. One body and one lens, small unmarked bland bag, cover the Leica dot, avoid wearing it about, in hand with strap wrapped about wrist is how I would go-- shoot and stash, not only because of theft but in towns like Paris people have an aversion to being the subject of your photos. Pays to be discreet and as inconspicuous as possible. There are numerous threads about the etiquette of contemporary street photography. rolly