Examples of nikon coolscan 8000

I am seriously considering buying a Nikon coolscan 8000 but I would like to see

what it is capable of. I have been searching for it on photo.net to no avail.

Does anyone know any photo.net members with a nice portfolio of photos scanned

with this scanner? I am not looking for reviews or sample comparisons with other

scanners, I am looking for people who are actually using this scanner on a

regular basis

Thanks very much

Bart

I don't have the 8000, but have the Coolscan V ED. Here's an example of a 4000 dpi 35 mm Ektachrome slide scan. The original scan was 5328 x 3570 pixels. The second image is a crop of the region just to the right of center - this one is actual pixels.

Hope this helps.<div>00K98x-35231884.jpg.bdca71762fc37178a62a0e389630c6b1.jpg</div>

The Nikon 8000-9000 scanners will produce truly outstanding scans. I borrowed a friend's 8000 for a week or so prior to getting my own 9000. I use the 9000 to scan TMAX 100 Hasselblad 6x6 and Mamaiya 7II 6x7 negatives. The detail I can pull out of the negatives is incredible. The scans above are pretty good examples of what these scanners can do. Generally looking at web images to learn what a scanner can do is pretty useless but these do make the point. If you are willing to put in the time to learn the scanner, learn photoshop, and have a good printer, you will get results as good or arguably better than what can be accomplished in the wet darkroom and I have been a black and white darkroom printer for over 40 years.

Good luck.

Eric

Apologies for the slew of wrong posts.. and the fact these showed up as attachments.. The

crops are of 100% crops of a 35mm negative (4000 dpi, adobe 98 color space... I will say i

find the nikon scanners truly incredible... so the size is 5600x 3700 pixels. The 5000 is

newer than the 8000 but this will give you a point of comparison..

Bart -

I speak from experience when I say that if you intend to scan silver-based film, i.e. Tri-x, you will be very disappointed with the Nikon scanner.

The light source is not good for this type of film, and Digital Ice can not penetrate the silver content.With no Digital Ice, you have to clean up each scan manually, which can be very time consuming.

I scan only silver based film with my Nikon 9000; indeed I use it only for TMAX 100 6x6 and 6x7 negatives. Yes, one cannot use digital ice, and it can be a bit time consuming to "spot" the scans, but, with digital scans, one need do it only once! As I said above, the detail in the scans is incredible. I do use the glass holder and clean it meticulously.

I respectfully disagree with Ned on this one.

Eric

Just FYI, there is NO scanner that allows you to use anything like Digital Ice to

automatically "clean up" b/w images. It is not just a Nikon issue. The Nikon line of

scanners is the best line available now of dedicated tabletop film scanners....unless

perhaps you want to spend 5 times the amount for an Imacon.

"Robert Lee: Is your example sharpened at all?"

I'm not so sure now. The pictures posted here came from a thread discussing the lack of acuity with Fuji 160S. I knew that Kodak Gold 100 was much superior in this respect (better than any of the newer color emulsions, better than Velvia actually) and posted the test images.

The tradeoff for Gold 100 is grain. For sure, the images were run through the NeatImage noise reduction filter.

I linked to the original thread, so you can look through that too.