Best AF-S Wildlife Nikkor

arthuryeo

For those of you who have tons of experience with wildlife photography, could

you give me some pointers regarding what's the best long lens Nikkor with AF-S?

I intend to shoot mainly birds: raptors, swans and geese. Let me qualify what

"best" means to me: highest contrast and resolution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

<I>Anybody any opinions on the Sigmonster Sigma 300-800 f/5.6 EX APO HSM AF or the

newer DG version?</i><P>

Yes. The thing is ENORMOUS and not stabilized -- fine if you have a tripod and head up

to the task of supporting it, and you are strong enough to carry them around (or are

willing to do all your shooting a short walk from a vehicle). To do wildlife photography,

you have to get to where the wildlife are. That becomes a challenge with a really huge

lens -- not just in terms of your carrying it around, but also in terms of getting it onto a

plane if you like to travel. So I concur with the suggestions for a 500/4. Also, those

lenses are "small" enough that brief hand-holding is feasible at high shutter speeds, for

things like flying birds.

Thanks for responses. Specifically, I like to capture images of them in flight. Would that make a difference to your recommendations? Don't worry too much about the price, I sell a kidney. :) Is the 600mm/4 II too unwieldly?

I'm surprised no one suggested the 200-400VR? Is that too short for birds?

I have recently purchased the 200mm/2VR + TC20EII with the intention of using the lens (without the TC) for people in action and some occasional trips for wildlife photography.

<p><p>

Had a really bad experience with that combination in the last trip shooting Alaskan Trumpeter Swans. Images, in general, were poorly focused and those that were focused were low in contrast and not critically sharp. On the other hand, the 200/2VR performed perfectly handheld without the TC.

May be I'm not skilled enough with a lens+TC. *sigh* :( Can't believe reviewers anymore!

Arthur, regarding the 200/2+TC, have you considered that the problem may not be in the lens/TC combination but in the atmospheric conditions at the time? When you're doubling the focal length to fill the frame, you're also doubling the soup through which you shoot.. When it's hazy, not only contrast suffers in the picture, but the AF gets a harder job as well. I'd say, give it another workout in clear weather before you give up.

The 200mm/f4 is mainly a news and sports lens, especially for indoors. I don't have one but while I probably wouldn't mind putting a 2X TC on it occasionally, it is still going to degrade the overall image quality quite a bit, as 2X TCs always do.

In most situations, 400mm is certainly not long enough for birds, which is your primary subject. 500mm is probably not long enough too. Expect to add a 1.4x TC to any 500mm. And that explains why the 200-400 is not recommended for your purpose.

In addition to your lens, either the 500mm f 4.0 af-s II or the 600mm AF-S II, you will need at least one tc, the 14 B II and a good tripod like the Gitzo 1325 or 1548, a gimbal head from Wimberley and the Gitzo level base, 1321 for the tripod. Then you will have to master long lens technique and how to make the right slections on your camera body among custom settings, etc. Joe Smith

Arthur: The Sigma 300-800 has excellent optical quality. I don't have one but there's a

bird shooter in the Phillipines -- Romy Ocon -- who uses it and gets superb results.

Nevertheless, it's huge. For a while I had the Sigma 800/5.6, which is a bit smaller and

lighter than the 300-800, and it was simply too big for easy use: sharp enough if it could

be held steady, but that was very challenging (here, stabilization is a big help). As Joseph

says, budget in a big, solid tripod and a Wimberley or other good gimbal head if you want

to use a 500 or 600. <P>

If you want to shoot birds in flight, the 500/4 is about as big as I'd recommend, and in the

Canon world the 400/5.6 is the default 'flight lens'. 600/4s are quite a bit largerand

heavier than 500/4s and unless you're Godzilla they're simply too big to hand-hold. You

can use them on a tripod with a gimbal head, but I find that much less effective for my<A

HREF="http://faculty.ucr.edu/~chappell/INW/flyingindex.html"> flight shots</a> than

hand-holding a 500/4. YMMV.<P>

The Homer eagles are indeed a special case. They're habituated to people so one can get

very close (like, < 20 feet). Typical wild birds are a far different story and even when

working at 1000 mm (500+2X) on a sub-frame DSLR, very often I can't get close enough.

<I. i dont know why we dont see this setup more often. it makes so much sense....</i><P>

Because a 400 mm is not long enough for a lot of wildlife work, especially birds. There are

good reasons that most bird photographers have 500 or 600 mm lenses and use them with

converters and sub-frame DSLRs. Besides, the image of a subject at a given distance isn't

any bigger with HSC than it is in 'regular' mode (pseudo-800 mm regardless): you've just

thrown a lot of pixels away from the edge of the image in order to get a faster frame rate.