Nikon 18-200 AF VR Lens C--R--E--E--P--!!!

roy_gilbert1

My 18-200 lens gives me great (horizontal) results with my Nikon D200. Only I

wish that the zoom would hold its position, like other good quality lenses I

have known. When the camera is tilted 45 degrees or more this 18-200 (over the

24-135 range) zooms in or out of its own accord. Vertical shots (up or down)

forget them! The "creeping" or "slippage" of the lens is getting worse as I use

it more and more. Has anybody had a similar experience? Has anyone found a

satisfactory solution. Has Nikon been able to fix this under warranty? Is there

a good quality 18-200 lens out there that doesn't creep? Or is quality simply

not what it used to be? I would appreciate any advice, answers and being able to

benefit from your experience.

Thanks a lot,

Roy

It's the nature of the lens, and the fact that the mechanism isn't nearly as massive as its far more expensive more-pro cousins. Just in case you haven't noticed, though, put the zoom at 18mm, and notice that it will NOT creep out. This is for carrying, etc.

I've grumbled about the creep factor myself... and then I realized that it's part of the trade-off. The lens wouldn't be so light, or so quick to effortlessly zoom in and out if that mechanism had more mass or more damping. The lens is really meant to be hand-held. That's its purpose in life. So, typically you're going to have your hand on that zoom ring anyway. Having it pointed nose-down from a tripod is far less likely for the users/use for which the 18-200 is generally intended... most studio applications would involve different lenses anyway. Good luck! Learn to be one with that lens's light design.

Back then the nice feel of focus/zoomimg mechanism of manual focus lenses came from the dampening grease, lots of them. But modern AF lenses have far less grease being used and zoom creep is to be expected, depends on the inner designs. There is nothing to be adjusted really if it happens.

It's the big sin of this lens. We already discussed about it too many times. Unfortunately Nikon and their parrots like Ken insists that this is natural. There are many ways to fix the lens in every position and it's just a matter of cost. I own this lens also and I suffer very much.

I don't find this a major problem. I tend to hold the lens barrel when I am shooting so creep never bothers me, whatever the angle. Also I find that whenever I finish as shot I return the lens to 18 or 200 (usually 18 as is neater) and move on to the next shot.

I am wondering what would make you want to use this lens on a tripod in the first place. It isn't particularly high quality, it's small, it's convenient, it has VR, allowing hand-held shooting in conditions that other superzooms don't. It's not meant for people willing to carry a tripod.

If you carry a tripod, there are many better lenses which don't creep.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked mine up a year ago at the press release (I've the NPS membership) and then went to Nikon to collect. Mine creeps badly, but still shoots basically OK quality, it's just aggravating. The tech department said I could bring the lens back to get it tightened if it was "thought to be too much according to their engineers".

I asked how long this would take to do and if would they'd charge me. They declined to answer until I took it for the check-up. I'd give your dealer a call and ask what they'll will do about it if it's affecting your picture taking.