1st picture from Graflex & a new problem around (RH12 roll film back)

Hi buddys,

many thanks to all of you they were so helpful with my first steps in the big big Weegee world. Now the

first reliable pictures are done and you can see those here.

But as it is often enough: one problem solved, the next is just around the corner. The original Graflex

RH12 roll film back seems to cause problems. Is there any body knowing if this is repairable?

If you transport the film with the lever, it seems that it is not far enough and so it become double

exposed. Is there any possibilty of adjustment???

Thx D.O. Hennig

Hi D.O.

Since you mentioned "one-picture uploading," I'll describe a technique that you can use to post and display multiple images at one time. It is to use Photoshop's Canvas command to make a LOOOOONG vertical file that is less than 500 pixels wide. You can then paste in several individual JPEGs that are sized to the same width.

One drawback of this, though, is that the multi-image JPEG quickly becomes larger than photo.net's 100K posting maximum. The only way around this (as far as I know) is to make the entire file significantly smaller than 500 pixels wide and/or to really crank up its JPEG compression until it drops below 100K.

I used this technique for my two-image post in the following thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00K0cm

But I'd love to learn others' techniques as well!

Sincerely,

Dave

to post more than one picture at one given time, the best solution is to use HTML instead of uploading on PN. First you should post your pictures reasonably re-sized on Flickr.com or any other site that provides free space for images; then put a link to your pictures in the PN post. See how I did here: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Jd0m&tag=. It looks complicated but it is not. I cannot get into more details here but I would gladly explain should any one contact me by email. It takes a bit longer than direct uploading though but you have less restrictions. cheers

@Dan

did study the instructions and think they are exact what we did (my wifes fingers are better

made for this than mine and just after my birth I lost my patience somewhere too).

@Lynn

that sounds interesting. Could you explain that a little bit closer, pleaese?

Thx D.O. Hennig

Thanks David, but the most important thing was:

Will the bird comes out of the whole what means does the range finder works together

with the lens and will both work together and not against me? This was the 3rd film. First

by any stupid mistake I had the curtain shutter closed so everything was black. Second I

did not know anything about the infinity stops, so everything was grey. Now it is White,

grey and black and I am happy, with one exeption: why does the film do not transport as

good as it should. This is the question.

D.O. Hennig

D.O., I had similar teething troubles when I got my Baby Speed (<i>no pun intended!</i>). I know, it's a great camera with a beautiful lens, but in the end my love died down. The waste of film and un-ergonomic-ness of operation was simply too much for me to use this camera regularly, although I did get wonderful results from time to time (of which the best roll was "lost" by the lab).

Bueh my problem is the patience on the one hand and on the other my inner voice telling me

take here and take care there 'cause the Graf shall return into the show-case without any

scratch or dent. Both together and some other aspects let me found a decision: If Weegee

would be still alive what will he now use to work with? A Graflex? No, don't thinks so. But

what else? Ahh! A Mamiya RB 67 Pro S since this is the last model where he can use his whole

old stuff like the roll- or polaroid backs. Also he has not to learn how to handle 'cause they

are so similar. You can nearly say it is the legitimate follow-up, the never-built modern

Graflex 20th century. Am I wrong?<div>00K48v-35127584.jpg.baea0d56f4dbc414a0491cfddb704afa.jpg</div>

No, I have the RZ67 which can trace its lineage to the RB67 and the Graflex RB series, that in turn are sisters of the Speed Graphic models. If I recall correctly, Graflex was bought by Toyo, who is somehow connected to Mamiya (same <i>keiretsu</i>, maybe?).

<blockquote><i>The last owner I know was the Singer seewing machine company. But this must not be the last.</i></blockquote>

After Singer stopped the production in 1973, Toyo took over -- probably they only bought the camera designs and the Super Graphic brand.

<br> 

<blockquote><i>If you have a RZ and if you work with, could you recommand any good portrait lens?</i></blockquote>

Depends on your style. I have used focal lengths from 65mm to 180mm for portraiture and all are excellent. The 110mm f/2.8 standard lens is superb, the often-overlooked 150mm f/3.5 is also great, and the 180mm f/4.5 is used the most be portrait photographer. Personally, I find anything longer than the 150mm a bit too difficult for steady hand-holding due to the front-heaviness of the lenses. The RB's 150mm f/4 soft focus lens is also nice for some subjects.

<br> 

<blockquote><i>Also does the TTL-prism make any sense?</i></blockquote>

The AE prism does a fine job, very accurate and suchlike. But it is terrible heavy and bulky, AND the viewfinder image is much smaller than with the regular <abbr title="waist-level finder">WLF</abbr>, which makes critical focusing a bit more difficult. I sold mine and use a Sekonic incident meter.