baby photography...

hala_b

i have a shoot to photograph a 3yr old baby - is it best to use a large soft box, centred, for full coverage,

or are smaller softboxes better for photographing babies? maybe 2 small ones on each side with a ratio of

1:1...? must baby photography have ratios of 1:1? any suggestions would be great. thank you.

Hi Hala - I use one large softbox most of the time and I agree with Scott that is just personal preference on the type of look you are trying to create. I prefer one large catchlight with some subtle shadows. I position my softbox about 4 feet from my subject and often to the subject's front left. I then use a large reflector on the other side for some fill. Please feel free to view my portfolio for plenty of examples of baby portraits. Good luck!

thank you for the tips - i thought at the end of the day - soft an even lighting should be the

aim with little harsh shadows, with light and dark etc. i was told that one should get down

to the same level of the child/baby when shooting - why is that? and that one should avoid

shooting from up to down... etc.... thoughts on why?

I always shoot at the same level as the babies. I rarely stand and spend most of the time laying on the floor. I don't know the "rule" behind this. I just know that "up the nose shots" are not appealing for the baby photography. I also think it is easier to get eye contact when you are at their level. I always am making strange sounds or asking the older ones questions when I am photographing them. I try to help them have fun and am not very structured with my portrait sessions.