Fisheye??

tisha_morris

Fisheyes really arent for everybody, rent one for a day and go shooting, I'm sure at first you'll

be extremely happy with the results, but don't go and impulse buy it after that. Think of the

functionality of the lens, fisheyes are a lot of money to play around with, they are most often,

the lens that sits in the bag unused, much like a lensbaby, but at 10x the price.

Happy hunting,

Alex I

<i>So what would you recommend to have for weddings. I want to offer something creative to select clients.</i>

<p>

You certainly don't need a fisheye lens to "offer something creative". Experiment with non-standard compositions, learn to find "good light", make use of basic color theory and other compositional elements, make creative use of the natural surroundings, creative use of depth of field, adding motion blur, and extreme shutter dragging with flash, etc. All basic creative photography skills that you should just intuitively doing without thinking about it everytime you pick up a camera (or even without a camera).<p>

Don't think that buying a new lens or other gear will improve your photographs. There's plenty that you can do with even the most simple camera and any single fixed focal length lens if you are solid in the fundamentals.

My husband and I just invested in a fisheye, and put it to use last night during an engagement shoot.

While 'gimmicky', it IS fun, and depending upon the atmosphere and setting, it can add drama to an otherwise usually boring set of photos for our clientele. And if they don't like it, they have the original, and we have it for our own amusement in our portfolio.

In our city, there is a lot of great architecture...old limestone buildings, martello towers, old forts...these will be fun to photograph.

However, we are aware that these type of pictures are novelty, and we know not to use in excess.

Fisheyes are not for everybody, and are expensive. There is always SOMETHING to buy in this industry, and we have always invested in the necessary equipment first - so this is a treat.

I think Katie is right on the money - it is an added tool and helps give an ablum a different look here and there. If you have lots of time with a B&G this lens can be a nice addition but is an expensive toy. I shoot underwater a lot and it is my primary lens but I take it with me always. It makes a nice dance floor shot at the reception too. This shot below I am using as a faded background in an album. I also think subconciously when a client sees a different look now and then it lets them now we are the pros as Uncle Bob with his D80 won't pull out a fisheye. Done right it can really enhance an album but it is far from a neccesity.<div>00K3lB-35117084.thumb.jpg.13a870ac356f1123d66f796803b0618e.jpg</div>

I love using my fisheye lens (a Sigma 15 mm f/2.8) at least once at every wedding. Generally, I pull it out during the ceremony to capture the whole church or location and then during the reception. I've done some pretty cool table shots with the fisheye (I climb on a chair and shoot from above, with everyone looking up).

Here is an example of some fisheye pictures I've done at weddings.<div>00K3oR-35118284.jpg.85106f465ca02733025820edb5781854.jpg</div>

I had (and have since sold) a wonderful fisheye for my Pentax 6x7 kit: and I used to pull it out every second or third Wedding, usually only if the [architectural] scene suited.

I could not honestly say it ever paid for itself, but yes it was fun.

Tisha Morris: note with the fisheye images above, the care taken in choosing the camera`s viewpoint so not to make `fat arms and shoulders`, which can turn clients away from this type of image very quickly.

WW

I bought one this year for weddings. Like the last post (I think) I will use it for the church and reception to get everything in and probably for the dancing to give a different view. It is a specialty lens for sure. Just like an Electrician has many different screwdrivers, they are all screwdrivers but have different charachteristics, lenses are just tools too.

People don't use fisheye and think the distortion is gimmicky, they are wrong. I use my fisheye for every wedding and some of great samples above tell you what it can do. All my clients saw my fisheye shots and their impression ... "WOW! I never seen anything like that before. can you add that in our album?"

Just like any tools. if you know how to use it, then it's a great tools. If you have enuff lens collection in your bag, then the fisheye is a great tools to have.

Who said you have to keep the circle ?- I would assume most of these are cropped. In the case of mine I have kept part of the circle, you can see it around the top right of the picture & bottom, but cropped in on the rest of the picture to give a sense of circularity but not overpoweringly so. People who are good fish eye users generally dont like 'rules' too much LOL. Having said that I always take 'normal' pics of the B&G as well. Some dont take kindly to fish only pics!!! - see other mail in this section. Some of these may have been taken by a 'semi-fish eye' like a sigma 15mm - which give a full frame effect.