Roll Film for Crown Graphic

david_sacco1

I am in the market for a roll film(120) back for my Crown Graphic that I am am

currently getting ready for real use. I have a few questions before I shop

around.

Which format sizes where the backs made in? 6x7 and 6x9?

I assume the back must have the 4x5 insert plate. Is this plate separate from

the roll film holder?

What are the key things I should watch out for when I buy? I am looking to

puchase from ebay.

How do I frame the shot with this new format? Can I but a mask or make one.

How would I make?

thanks David Sacco

The short answer is you need a rotating Graflok back with grid screen ground glass, a Singer 120 roll film holder and do what Dan said.

And in this day and age, Dave, if you really don't know exactly what you're looking for and approx. what it's true value should be, I'd avoid e-bay.

Take it light.

Mark

David - Assuming you have a Graflock back on your Crown, here is an example of what will fit your camera: eBay 300079446956 . Note how big the overall frame is compared to the "insert" part that holds the film. The roll holders for the 2X3 Graphics have a frame just slightly larger than the insert, like this one 300079229156. Three formats were available 2 1/4" square (RH12 - 12 exposure), 2 1/4 X 2 3/4" (RH10 - 10 exposure), and 2 1/4 X 3 1/4" (RH8 - 8 exposure) for 120 film. There was also a RH20 for 2 1/4 X 2 3/4" on 220 film. Earlier versions used a round knob for film advance. Later versions, at least in the RH10 and RH20, were available with a lever for film advance. The film inserts can be interchanged between the outer frame/shell part, so it is possible to find, for instance, a 10 exposure insert in a RH8 shell. This won't work. This information all refers to Graphic backs made by Graflex Corp.

I have heard of adapter frames to fit the smaller frame holders to a 4X5 back, but I suspect they are either expensive or difficult to find. I just don't know anything about them. There may be roll holders from makers other than Graflex with 4X5 frames, but again, I know nothing about them. Calumet made a 10 exposure roll holder which slides into either a spring back or a Graflock just like a sheet film holder.

Many Graphic roll holders have seen heavy use by pros, so it is possible to get frame spacing problems, but as with anything on eBay, you have to check for return policy. I recall something about the later inserts having extra film rollers for better film flatness, but someone else may be able to give details on that.

What I've done for masking on the groundglass is use a thin (maybe 1/16" wide) stick-on tape available from drafting suppliers. The advantage of this is it can be easily removed if needed. You might be able to make a mask from thin plastic with a cutout for your roll film format that you can stick on your groundglass when you shoot roll film.

I have the Calumet C2 6x7 holder which works OK if you load the film nice and tight. It is rather fiddly to use but once you have got the hang of it you have the advantage of a bigger range of films available. For framing I drew a 6x7 rectangle on the ground glass. Make sure you have a very sturdy tripod with good locks because attaching the holder after framing can make you knock the camera.

I would like to point out that I get much greater pleasure from using 5x4 but sometimes the convenience of having 10 shots on a roll wins the day.

Have fun!

David -

Leonard's comments are the most helpful. Let me add - - -

I have heard and read that that roll-backs with the lever advance mechanism are "better" than those with the knob advance. Supposedly, this is because the lever design keeps the film flatter. I have a knob-wind back and have never had a problem. It could be that the difference relates to how much usage and wear the back has received.

You have a choice of making a mask or simply marking the ground glass on your camera. I chose to mark the glass. Using an ordinary lead pencil, lightly draw diagonal lines from corner to corner to locate the exact center of the ground glass. Then, mark a rectangle/square to match the format of your back on thhe glass. I suggest using either a Sharpie or a Rapidograph technical pen with india ink to mark the outline of the roll back frame because either would give you a distinct black line. Pencil will also work, but it will be harder to see in use. You can also use map tape, but that really requires that you have market the outline first in pencil.

Obviously, the border that you mark will only be approximate, and you need to allow for some windage when you compose an image.

The most common roll backs on e-bay are likely to be the original Graphlex units that were designed for the Graphlok back. These are fine, but obviously a bit less convenient because you have to remove the ground glass to attach the roll back. The Calumet/Horseman backs are more convenient because the slide under the ground glass, but they are also harder to find and are much more expensive.

OK got it. I do want to use the camera hand held. I checked out the website and it seems like I need the RH-8 Such as this one on ebay that comes with the 4x5 insert correct?(EBAYauction# 270088221065).

Also is this the frame mask I need? it seem that my 127MM lens is between two mask numbers, which is better mask 9 or 10? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=80045758&is=USE&addedTroughType=search

With the mask I should be able to frame the shot,and focus(with top-mounted rangefinder) hand held right?

Thanks dave