New D200 owner

wendykwas

Hi,

While I'm not new to digital photography, I am to DSLR. I recently bought the

D200 with the 18-200mm lens. I certainly do love the pictures it takes and

while I am far from a professional, I am considered the "expert" PC, video and

photo person for some of the groups I belong to. I also use both PC and

Mac...whichever serves the appropriate purpose.

My question for the experts here is, should I consider any other lenses? I have

been reading this forum for a couple weeks now and the opinions, of course, are

as varied as the people who frequent here ;-)

I have read a lot about how the 18-200mm lens is a great take along all around

lens but is lacking in certain areas which I probably will not realize until I

have been using it for a long time. I'm interested in taking some close up shots

of animals, insects, flowers; groups of people; and landscapes, as well as ebay

auction photos.

My husband keeps telling me my 18-200mm covers all possibilities but I think I

might be missing out on something with only one lens.

And...has anyone attended the Nikon school? Is it something I should consider?

I don't think I need the basic one but was thinking of the more advanced

session. I certainly know how to using the PC and am a longtime Photoshop user.

Thanks in advance.

Wendy

Your husband is right. In fact, unless you will need to shoot under very low lighting conditions without flash, you really don't need anything else for general photography, and even then, there are ways around the need for a faster lens. For example, I typically use my 50mm 1.8 for indoor stadium events where a flash is useless. I took my family to 'Monster Jam' recently. I brought my d200 with the 1.8 and my wife's d40 with the 55-200 5.6 dx. I shot at iso 200 on my d200 and set the ISO to AUTO on her camera. Althought the shots with the d40 were all shot at around ISO 1000, they were virtually identical in overall quality except for the slightest amount of noise. As I was able to zoom in much, much closer, the shots from the d40 were better/more usable overall.

Macro photography is another story. A macro lens would work better but there are close up lenses that you attach like a filter that will work with your current lens and do a good job for you. They are available on ebay for about $45.

Your next best and necessary accessory should be the investment in a great flash - the sb-800 (if money is an issue, there are two more affordable flashes, the sb-600 and sb-400). Lighting is the key to great photographs.

When you find you lens cannot deliver what you want for a specific application, that is the time to invest in one that gives you what you need.

Good luck!

I'd echo Elliot's message. A strobe like the SB-800 will open up huge new opportunities for you. Even on something like your eBay photos, the ability to have your D200 remotely control the flash for more professional off-camera lighting angles will make a huge difference. With even some modest accessories (a stand and umbrella), that SB800 would transform some of your people-shooting experices.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the 50mm 1.8 lens for the $100 or so that you can pay for it. The main reason: on some of your close-up type shots, you can get a very shallow depth of field - something your 18-200 can't necessarily do. That can feel a bit more like an artsy issue, but there are times (with people shots against certain types of backdrops, or small items, or annoyingly low light) where that can really come in handy.

But honestly - I'd go with the flash first, since you seem to be an all-around shooter, and being more in control of your light in a variety of settings is a giant thing for your versatility and end results. Nikon's SB-800 and SB-600 can both be used remotely off-camera, the SB-400 cannot (though it is still very useful and small on-camera... but can only bounce vertically with the camera in a horizontal orientation). Have fun! Great camera.

<i>I think I might be missing out on something with only one lens</i><br>

Get some experience shooting with the 18-200 and if (or when) you have your feeling confirmed, get the lens that fills the need. <br> Can't give you advice on the flash; I have the SB-600 but it lives mostly in the bag and it is all I need if I feel the need for a flash at all.

I have the D200, the 18-200 VR and a Sigma 10-20mm with the SB600. I am over the moon with this set up. In my bottom drawer I also have a sigma 75-300 so if I am ever lucky enough to go on Safari in Africa I have a bit extra....just in case...but will I ever use it????? Not too sure.

Wendy, it is hard for me to judge your level of photography, but you now have your basic one-size-fits-all lens and a fine DSLR. I would use that combo for a while and discover for yourself what is missing. In a few weeks to a few months, you should know what your next piece of equipment should be: a flash, a tripod, a fast lens, a macro lens, etc.

If you have the budget for it, rather than the 1 to 2 day Nikon school, I would take a photo class at your local junior college. Hopefully there is one that meets your level of experience.

The 18-200 is a great walk around lens, and does most things well. It focuses over a wide range of focal lengths, focuses amazingly close for a long zoom, and the VR makes it apparently faster than it is. Decide where your interests lie and then pursue the best tools to support the areas you really enjoy.

As a general recommendation, I'd suggest the SB-800 flash, I have two and they do the job amazingly well most of the time. The 800 will work as a commander, the 600 will not, and the 800 is brighter. For a small cost difference, it's worth it to me.

As for lenses, depends what you want to shoot.

For Macro, I don't recommend the screw on magnifying filters. The inexpensive ones are poor optically (single element), and the good ones are almost as expensive as a real macro lens. But they are convenient and compact if you only use them occasionally. For your 18-200 with 72mm threads, the best available is the Canon 500D achromatic (color corrected). Nikon does not supply these any more.

For a true macro lens, I suggest the 105mm micro 2.8D or earlier non-D, both excellent. This goes to 1:1 without extensions. Frankly, you will probably use it in manual focus stopped down to F11 for a lot of "still" macro shots like flowers, leaves, and bugs, so even an older 105mm F4 manual focus lens will work fine on your D200 (but it needs a PN-11 extension to go to 1:1), and these can be bought for cheap. Tamron also makes an excellent 90mm F2.8 AF macro for less cost. You may also want a macro ring light, the LED types work fine for close subjects and cost under $80.

For Sports, you need a faster lens long lens. The 80-200 F2.8 AF is good, but get the later versions (there were about 6 versions, and the early ones are hard to get parts for and slow to focus, so get versions 4, 5, or 6). See: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200.htm

This lens is big and heavy, so really only for tripod mounted sports shooting or that ilk.

For birding, even longer, fast lenses are needed. I don't do this, but I know these lenses are expensive, big and heavy, and should be on a monopod or tripod for success. Because of the apparent focal length multiplication of the APS sensor in the D200, a 300mm becomes an apparent 450mm, which is almost long enough for a lot of birding. Since these cost a lot, get advice from birders before you get one.

If you like wide angle for landscapes, the 12-24mm is fantastic. Sigma also makes a 10-20 for half the price, but it's not quite as sharp and has lower contrast. I have the Sigma and I seldom use it, so I just have no burning desire for the 12-24. Most pros use the 12-24mm, so if cost is no object, get that.

Because all of these options are expensive, I'd decide what your special interests are and get the very best lenses for that purpose. Mediocre lenses I always regret.

Wendy, the 18-200 VR is quite a decent macro performer for what you need. The 800 flash is

worth it and not much larger than the 600. I debated this myself and others have given the

reasons to do it here. The Nikon school is very good and also covers NX software. I think it's

worth it and I got a lot out of discussions with other photographers.

I rarely use my SB-800 unless a relative can coerce me into shooting a wedding or some

other social event. Since I diffuse or bounce my flash whenever possible, I am appreciative

of the extra power the SB-800 has over the SB-600. Some rooms or environments

swallow a lot more light than others. I would go for the more powerful SB-800 especially

since you are starting out with the relatively slow 18-200mm lens.

As for your next lens. You have gotten good advice already: wait until your particular

shooting habits reveal the short-comings of the 18-200mm. You'll know intuitively what

your next lens should be.

hi Wendy

welcome to the d200 club :) i'm going to provide you with the definitive answer concerning the ownership of only a single lens: "it depends" :)

here's my short answer: use this lens and become proficient with using it and your camera. become fluent with how the two are married to each other and how each contributes to the final image.

over time, while you are shooting photos, think about what it is you wish to explore more fully, i.e., what types of "genre" you want to shoot. if all you want are snapshots, then maybe this lens alone will satisfy your photographic needs.

there may be times when you think to yourself, "i wish this lens would produce photos with better bokeh", or, "i wish this lens would produce better depth of field", or "i wish this lens performed better in low-light conditions", "or i wish this lens had better reach", ad nauseum.

when you ask yourself any of these questions, or more, then you've answered your own question. it might be that you develop [sic] an interest in shooting sporting events, which would require VR technology. it might be you want a faster lens, or one with a wider reach, and so on.

yes, this is a great all-around lens, but you might still find it lacks some aspect that only another lens can provide.

as far as "schools" or classes, i would highly recommend them. why? because even if you learn ONE thing, then it was worth the time. additionally, assignments will always provide your with ideas and incentive and a challenge that you might not be able to muster up for yourself.

one last note (i.e., opinion) which concerns Photoshop. i feel that people have become too crippled with their photography because they feel, "oh well, i can fix that in Photoshop", and so on. remember, the photo is made in the camera. yes, i think Photoshop has its place (such as repairing unwanted shadows and other minor issues), but i think it's an overused tool in the photographic workflow.

if it's used to repair more than one issue in an image (let's say, too much noise), than you have to rethink how you need to correct the issues before the shot is taken. in other words, if you have to repair an image because of too much noise and improper exposure and improper tint and lacks proper saturation, and so on, then you have to revisit the the technical aspects of the camera.

(BTW, when i use the word, "you", i am not referring specifically to you :)

think more about the photo *before* you take it - this is where the creative workflow begins ... and should end. here's my suggestion about the use of Photoshop - or other image editing tools ... if you feel a photo is not up to par, use the editor to see how the photo *should* have been shot and learn from it.

then use this knowledge to setup the shot (both compositionally and technically) before you snap the shutter.

enjoy the rest of the weekend ... michael

i failed to see your additional question concerning choice of either the sb600 or sb800. again ... since i/we can't guess your requirements, it's difficult to provide a recommendation.

personally i use both the 800 and 600, plus i use Quantum flash units, which in my opinion, are more versatile and configurable than the Nikon units. of course, what comes with that, is a higher price tag.

don't get me rwong, the Nikons are excellent units and are highly integrated with the D200/80/70/etc cameras ... it all comes back to what i mentioned previously ... it all depends on your requirements.

but to answer your question, the 600 will most likely fit any needs you have .... however, depending upon your needs, the 800 might be the better fit.

cheers! michael

Daer Windey

I do Have D-200 for the last one yaer. If you ARE A SERIOUS PHOTOGRAPHER OR HOBBIEST please don't compromise on the good quality lense for Digital Photography. You should have one 18-55 mm 2.8 DX or 28-70 mm f2.8 to cover the general all purpose and another 70-200 mm f2.8 VR IF ED D and you want to capture the real macro world you should buy the 105mm f 2.8 VR IF . Then your SB 800 is better than SB600 for D-200. You are now with full set pro photgrapher.

If you don't plan on being a pro don't worry about all that stuff above. I think you would do really well with a 60mm macro 2.8 lens. It will give you super close macro flower shots and also be a faster lens for you. 2.8 lenses are going to blur the background nicer than your current len giving that extra "something" to the pictures. That is whu most prose use prime or 2.8 zoom lenses but they pay for it. Get the 60mm macro - Used $250.00 new around $350.00