Question repetition

pge

I am a frequent reader and an ocassional poster on this nikon forum.

I often read people getting blasted for asking some question that was asked

before and I don't like it for two reasons.

Firstly it makes people hesitate before asking a question, I am sure that it has

prevented some people from posting quite legitimate questions in fear that they

are going to be decended upon by the "previously asked question" police.

Secondly I enjoy reading questions and answers that just crop up. It can get me

thinking about things that would have never ocurred to me otherwise. An example

is a recent post about DOF and crop factor, I thought the question was a good

one and the answers helped me understand the issue better. But I wouldn't have

searched for this question.

Perhaps the real issue is whether we are compiling a library of questions, in

which case a question should not be asked more than once, or whether we are just

having a discussion about everything nikon?

Since this is a nikon forum, I better include the fact that I have 2 fe's, a

d200 and 7 pieces of ai glass. I am a hobbiest, nothing more, but there is

really nothing like getting a good shot.

Phil: I believe someone else has said this before.

Kidding!

I actually agree with you. It's the stuff that wouldn't occur to me to search on, or varied circumstances that put those questions in a different context that make the discussions interesting. And, with the rapidly evolving technology, the really interesting thing is that many answers actually DO change over time.

Now, that being said, questions like "what is an 'f' and how do I stop it?" or "what is the D200's flash synch speed" CAN be a little annoying since those are questions that truly can be searched, and the person asking is, in fact, searching (or, hoping for someone else to do the search for them). I think the line is a little blurry - some seemingly basic questions do indeed launch very timely and more complex conversations that are fascinating to follow, while some truly do rate an 'RTFM' response. Many times it's just the tone of the question that makes the difference (hint: asking for some readily available info is a lot different than asking for some help and explaining why your situation is a little unique or why the photographic challenge you're facing might be of interest to a wider group of people).

If a reply feels like it should come down to "try searching for that," maybe the forum's wider, lurking audience will get just a little smarter if we instead respond with something like, "try searching on the keywords 'dof' and 'macro' so that you'll realize what a loaded question you're asking." And as Phil says, that encourages a more enriching, rather than curt, forum. Just my thoughts after a month of watching the local native customs.

A lot of Nikon forum users are kind enough to post a link to a previous photo.net thread, which is also very helpful. But then again, all the person who posted the question had to do was use the search, and they could have found the same thread themselves.

Dave

There is a longstanding problem with archive searches. If you (logically) enter your search in the Google search box on a Photo.net page, you will NOT get complete results. For some reason it misses threads it should be returning in the search results. Anyone who doubts this should compare the results from a Google "advanced search" with the same query and specifying the photo.net site.

Why this has never been fixed is one of those little mysteries.

I don't think anybody has a problem with a legitimate, intelligently asked question, even if it has been adressed earlier. Especially in the digital age, knowledge and technology are advancing too fast for any of us to keep up with. I would probably roll the dice and ask, too.

However, those who post questions often have motives other than specifically clearing up some confusion. If somebody is too lazy to perform a quick search, read their manual, actually try to do something on their own first, wants to use PN as some sort of soapbox, or just likes to use bandwidth to hear themselves talk, then they don't really have a right to complain when somebody calls them on it.

This is a perfect example of having "sticky" threads with the most common questions which I feel would enhance this site.

Shun - I'm certain you have to get very weary of responses but as a moderator you are polite & helpful but if there were a batch of commonly asked questions from new users it would seem more productive for the site and you as well.

Thanks for your work here.

For those who are not aware of it, Philip Greenspun & Co. are working on a new version of photo.net software. Hopefully that will be deployed in the near future. But just like any other software project, there are delays and bugs. So please be a bit patient.

As far as repeated questions go, if there was any very recent discussion, a very effective way is to post a link to the previous thread. I do that occasionally. I also bookmark a bunch of old threads that tend to be useful, such as the list of various 80-200mm/f2.8 AF versions.

I do tend to delete some posts that ask about "whether this $150 deal for a D2Xs is for real or not?" I do get a bit tired when that type of questions is asked day after day.

Couldn't agree more with topic creator. On a forum IMO it is impossible to not cover the same subject or question more than once, and providing it's not something obvious being asked every second hour, it's a bit anal to blast someone for asking something that was also asked on a Tuesday two months ago if only they looked etc etc.

The thing to remember that most people that ask something that has been asked before are usually (A) New to the site and don't know their way around, and (B) Possibly new to photography (Or at least that subject in photography they're asking about)- So I think it just shows a bit of consideration to go easy on such posters, and help them out a bit.