28-70 2.8L Lens Hood

steve torelli

<p>Canon lens hoods whose names are identical except for a Roman numeral on the end are interchangeable. The II would be a newer version of the non-II. I don't know what the specific difference is in this case; in most cases, it's an improvement to the inner surface (e.g. by adding felt-like flocking; some hoods have a pebbled flat black plastic interior), though in some cases it's another change like making it fit better over the knurled ring on a polarizer.</p>

<p>Note that any other difference in the name (ET, ES, or EW; number; letter after the number) indicates a different design which is intended for a different lens.</p>

I own the Canon 28-70 2.8L lens and the 83B lens hood. It's the hood that came with the lens years ago when I bought it. Absolutely, that hood works fine for that lens. I understand the main difference with newer models is the non-reflective felt coating on the inner aspect of the newer hood.

I also own the non IS, 70-200 2.8L, and I often use that same hood for the longer lens. That way I don't have to carry two hoods. The dedicated 70-200 hood is a little longer, but the shorter hood works adequately and interchangeably. You can't, however, use the 70-200 hood on the shorter lens, because of vignetting.

Dave

• 1 year later...

FWIW, the <b>ET-83</b>, which belongs on a 70-200 2.8L non-IS, also fits.

Of course on a full-frame camera you'll get vignetting but on a 1.6x camera (D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, Rebel, etc) it's fine, even at the 28mm end.

It does look kinda monstrous, though :-)<div>00PaSP-45141584.jpg.e62806aa4946d9d4a193b3abe9c28347.jpg</div>