Nikkon old lenses in Nikon D70s, any problem?

chicodovale

All my analogic cameras 35mm are Nikon (F3, 4004, 6006, 801s) and now I bought a

D70s. My question is: is there any problem if I use any of my old lenses

(specially 50mm 1.8 and 55mm 2.8 macro) with D70s. Is there any advantage using

this 50mm 1.8, considering the luminosity of the lens? The same for macro. Of

course I am saying that I will be using all lenses in Manual nothing in auto. I

need to tell about my new lenses (AFs 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 and AFs 55-200mm DX). Is

there any risk using Nikon old lenses with the new digital cameras even in

manual mode? The same question for SB-24 flash. Thanks everyone for your comments.

There is no risk of damage to the D70s as long as the old lenses

are AI or AIS lenses. Since there were no non-AI 50mm 1:1.8 or

55mm 1:2.8 lenses, those should be entirely safe. However, on

the D70s, you will have to set exposure manually. This isn't too

hard using trial and error with the histogram as feedback.

If your lenses are Nikkor AI or Nikkor AIs series lenses (and they probably are, given the not-so-old age of your camera bodies) then they will work just fine on the D70s.

However, the D70s will not *meter* the exposure for you with those lenses. The D70s exposure meter only functions when you mount a lens with a microprocessor chip (in other words, one of the few Nikkor-P manual focus series lenses, or any autofocus Nikkor lens).

So, as long as you don't mind not having an exposure meter, your old lenses should take great pictures on your D70s.

Because your digital camera's sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film, it effectively crops the image for you. You'll see that if you mount the 50mm lens on your F3 and then on the D70 and look at the same subject from the same distance. On the D70s body, the lens will have a narrower field of view.

As for the flash, it will work in auto mode and manual mode on the D70s, but its TTL circuitry is not compatible with the D70s TTL flash system.

Be well,

Your owners manual has a chart telling you what lenses are compatible with your camera. You mention two lenses but I have no idea if they are AIS/AI or chipped AF lenses. The former will mount but not meter or provide D info to flash. The SB-24 will work I believe in auto mode using its own flash sensor, it is not ITTl flash, Nikon has to change its flash designs to incompatible technology to maintain its leadership in flash design. This obsoletes old flashes to supporting roles as slave lights.