Can anyone refer me to a software application that allows me to build my own

Web Photo Shopping CArt. I'd like to have the iamges I want shown in a folder,

point the application to that folder, run the application/script and then load

the appropriate files onto my site (thru Dreamweaver). As the client "Checks

out" both of us would get an email of their image choices. It would be nice if

the application could do "packages" as well. I dont want to use a "Hosting

Service" but rather pay for the application and host on my own website. Any

ideas?? And thanks!!

Barry: is your current hosting environment able to support an SSL certificate? You'll need that in order to be able to allow your visitors to enter credit card information over an encrypted connection. Most people will be uncomfortable, otherwise. Also: if you've already got your site hosted somewhere, you'll need to know what operating system and web server software is already in play... meaning, if you're on a Linux or Unix powered machine, some things are fundamentally different than on a Windows-powered server.

Also: do you already have some mechanism for charging credit cards (as in, a merchant account and arrangements with a card clearing company)? Presuming so, does your merchant services provider have software components available to integrate with web shopping cart software? Some merchant account banks will not, by the way, allow you to do business online with talking to them (they consider it to represent a large jump in the risks associated with your account).

The third-party image hosting/selling operations make their living relieving you of all of these issues, but obviously in exchange for a piece of the action. By the time you've dealt with security issues, made sure your current hosting provider can deal with whatever app you choose, have things squared away with your card processing operator, and maintain the app, you're going to have a lot to chew on. Oh: don't forget that the credit card data has to live somewhere, even if temporarily. You can't have the card info traveling in the e-mails you're talking about (not secure), but you'll probably need to have a secure database and related dashboard tools on the back end of the shopping card engine to allow you to do the customer service-ish stuff that inevitably comes with taking orders online. Don't forget that your software has to understand which ship-to addresses will or won't have to your own state's sales tax levied, and you'll also have to think about how you're going to integrate freight/shipping costs into the picture... do you charge a flat rate, or does it depend on the nature of what you're shipping and to where you're shipping it? If you adjust shipping according to the nature and destination of the order, your shopping cart engine will have to have all of that logic built in, and a way to introduce UPS's, USPS's or FedEx's look-ups or tables into your online checkout.

Not trying to make this sound more complicated than you'd like it to be, but be sure that when someone tells you they've got an easy-to-use online shoppping app they can deliver to you for you to use on your OWN server, that you've got all of this other stuff in mind.

In my case simplicity is key. I merely want to be able display a certain amount of images, then have the client choose the various size options, and then have a email sent to both them and me. No shipping, credit cards involved, that is handled outside of the cart and I have a nice process for that. Merely, I want is an ability to show their images and get an email of their desired items. I do understand your comment about SSL, Unix etc...

Check out <a href="http://www.pickpic.com">PickPic</a>. You pay a one-time software

and integration fee, then it's yours to customize and host. Terrific interface.

<p>

We use <a href="http://www.simplephoto.com">SimplePhoto</a> which isn't a one-time

software purchase, but they do enable you to sell multi-"pose" or multi-size packages like

you mentioned.

<p>

Good luck!

• 3 years later...