Leica M8 Firmware Version

carbon_dragon

<p>When I get the M8 I don't know what firmware version it will have. Would I be wise in updating the firmware to 2.004 (which I think is the latest version)? If so, I see only 2.004 is available, so regardless of what version it has, do I just follow the directions for upgrading to 2.004?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>In general, you should install the latest firmware, but before you do, test the function of the camera to make sure it's working correctly. Check the camera Menu for its firmware version. It may already have v2.004 installed. If you are uncertain about ANYTHING call/email Leica tech support.</p>

<p>Once you're satisfied with the camera functions install the v2.004 firmware - no intermediate steps needed. Be sure to have your battery fully charged before starting the process and then follow the Leica firmware update instructions to the letter.</p>

<p>If Leica was as generous as they might be with us M8 users, they might provide an update whereby you could select the lens and have the computer do the modifications that were otherwise only stimulated by the 6-bits.</p>

<p>After committing to the M8 when and because the thoughts were that a full frame sensor would be exremely difficult in the geometry of the Leica body, I do feel a little ignored by Leica. I certainly wouldn't mind manually clicking on a lens focal length via the camera screen to get the benefits of 6-bit (mainly for me the vignetting correction and the colour correction).</p>

<p>Leica should really step up to the plate on this one, if they value the fidelity of their customers.</p>

<p>Well, pretty much everything Leica does is overpriced (or seems so). They could also just do the 6-bit mod for free since my understanding is that the 6-bit mod amounts to just a marking of a pattern on the back of the lens. But on the other hand, Leica is Leica and will not change to suit our poor opinions. </p>

<p>When you're updating M8 firmware, pay particular attention to instructions which tell you to wait for a specified period of time before performing the next step (often there will be an instruction which says something like "wait 3 seconds before performing the next step"). MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS. If you don't obey the "wait" instructions, the firmware upgrade may fail, and it can in rare cases fail in a way which leaves the camera inoperable. If that happens, you'll have to send the camera back to Leica for service.</p>

<p>I very carefully followed the instructions, and everything went fine. I'm now updated to 2.004. And I did it from my Macintosh, which I had a mild worry about. When I replaced my Linksys router, it turned out the admin function didn't work from my Mac and that wasn't the first time. But everything went great. Downloaded the file, unzipped it on the Mac by double clicking. Formatted the card on the M8. Put in a fresh battery. Opened up the card on the mac and dragged the file to the card. Unmounted and removed the card, put it in the camera, turned it on, and followed the instructions. </p>

<p>I thought the whole process went well, and the update mechanism seems pretty well thought out. Thanks to all of you for the information and support.</p>