Digital CFV image

tim_hetherington

Hi. Can anyone suggest the best method to process an image from the Hasselblad CFV.

I'm a reportage photographer based in Africa. I've just got the back, but the images seem a little muddy

(like the early Canon D10 - D30 images).

Marc Williams mentioned that it took him some time to master the best proceedure in using the software.

I'm at the beginning of that hill. Any help most welcome. Thanks. Tim

Tim,

I assume that your muddiness is due to the flat nature of your files from the 3F format of

the Flexcolor process software....so

If you are using Flexcolor 4.5 to process the files. Look at the link to CFV on the

hasselbladinfo.com under the CFV Second try from Marc W. concerning process with

Flexcolor for the 949 scanner...a similar process I assume for your back...color correction

histogram correction and sharpening.

Once you output an Adobe 98 Tif 16 bit file import it into PS CS2 CS3 or lightroom.

I initially size image and either rotate or crop as needed.

Then correct color hue and or saturation.

Histograms will be fairly flat I assume so set light and dark points first then slide midpoint

to adjust overall light to dark balance...then on to curves to adjust the contrast.

If need be clean or spot the image at 200% with the clone and or repair tools at a very

small size 8 to 10.

Finally sharpening via:

Unsharp mask if local contrast needs a boost...unlikely with the CFV more common with

strong AA filters like Canon 1DsII Canon 5D etc.

Smart sharpen or Photokit sharpener for capture ( My preferred workflow )

Initially having saved as 3F from Flexcolor ( Digital Negative) and then save as TIF at this

point.

Size again for output...maybe sRGB for Web.

Output sharpening now for print or display with Photokit sharpener....save a copy at this

point.

Wait a week and look at the file...you can probably rerun the workflow and improve the

final once you view it afresh.

Best of luck it is a great back and should allow wonderful output.

Bob Moore

Hi Tim.

First of all go to the Hasselblad site and download Flexcolor version 4.6.6. After that, hook

up the CFV back to the computer using the firewire cable, and it will update the CFV Back's

firmware. If it is a desktop computer you won't need the battery as the computer provides

the power. Follow the on screen prompts exactly as stated. The newer Flexcolor versions

have improved the ISO 400 performance, among other things.

There are two ways to approach processing files from the CFV (or any Hasselblad back).

If you are proficient at PSCS2 using the Adobe Camera RAW processor, you can convert the

CFV files into DNG files through Flexcolor. Just select all the files, and click on the DNG

button and send them to a new folder on your desktop. DNG conversion is pretty fast.

Then close Flexcolor and open that DNG folder in Bridge to access Adobe Camera RAW.

I do this when processing a lot of shots from different cameras. All the cameras are time

coded and I drop all files into one folder and sort by time shot. This puts everything in

chronological order.

You have to correct one of your shots in ACR, then save those altered Default settings, so

all the rest of the shots will have the same settings applied (they'll all change

automatically). You can even save this default and label it CFV for future use.

If you want to process through Flexcolor (which many, including me, feel produces nicer

color than ACR), you will have a host of processing tools available to do so.

But first, make sure your output color matches the working color space of your computer.

With Flexcolor open go to "File" > "Set-Up" > Colorsync and next to RGB select your

computer's working color space and make sure the "Convert" box is checked, and if you

want that color space embeded check that box also. If you do not do this, the Hasselblad

files will retain their native colorspace which may not look correct on your computer (i.e.,

muddy)

Another thing is remember is that once you make color and exposure corrections you have

to go to to the "Modify" button and click on it, then a dialog box opens and you make sure

the "Update" box is checked, then click on "Modify" to apply the corrections you just did.

Tim:

The only thing I can add to the masterful set of instructions given by Bob and Marc is that make sure you do not share memory cards with other digital cameras. If you do and you do not format the card in the Hasselblad digital back you will not be able to retrieve your 3F files using FlexColor. I do not know why it happens but it does. It happened to me and also to a friend who has the same equipment. I used a previously formated card ( I also shoot with a Cannon OS1 DS) the Hassy camera will see the photographs but when you go to FlexCOlor the Import window will not see the shots.

Just a word of advise so you do not go through what I did. I lost a bunch of very important photographs.

I follow the same steps Marc described in his very well written note

Good luck and enjoy.

It is a nice piece of hardware. It produces great results. I own the CFV but I have also used the 39 Megapixels with the H3 system.

Unless you need big time blow ups there is hardly a difference between them both....other than the price......

A Fridman MD

"Unless you need big time blow ups there is hardly a difference between them both....other

than the price."

And have a need to use wide angle lenses, and want AF, and want to use the software

improvements for distortion and fringing control, and can use 1/800th sync speed ... to

name a few other differences : -)

Spot on Marc, the H3D is a completely different beast. I can do many things with it that I would never try on my 503 and V96C combo. It is an incredibly flexible piece of equipment. I'm seriously thinking of ditching my Canon gear now.

It's a whole new world being able to bang off 5x4 quality without the pain.