FIll in flash

romen_shah_shah

When photographing a brightly lit object in the night, I get reasonably good

photographs on my canon 350D. But considering that a person is standing in a

foreground and you use flash compensation to have appropriate luminosity on his

face, I have observed that the brightness on the face is high, while the

background in its original light looks good.

I am using the inbuilt flash of the camera and have spoiled a few of my Lindon

bridge photos.

Can some body help.

Romen shah

I'm not sure what you're trying to do either, but it sounds like you need to do is use a slow shutter for the background, and flash to fill in the foreground. You will also need a tripod to use the slow shutter. I would put the camera in manual mode and experiment until you get a good background exposure, then add flash to take your shot.

I am sorry , for my question was not too clear.

Issue if of the foreground getting overexposed, when I fill in with my Flash, even after adjusting the Flash compensation.While the monumnet in night appears in its natural colour, my face in the foreground is totally blotched with the bright light. Ths was in the manual mode using a tripod and a low shutter speed.

don't forget that the person could be under a streetlight or something. The setup described by everyone works if the person is a good bit darker than the monument/background. The long shutter speed used to expose the monument will continue to expose any ambient light on the subjects face. Try to get the person in a shadow or other dark area. Also try using your flash on manual mode so you have complete control.

You should try to use (if the 350 has this feature) the flash exposure lock button before taking the picture, and you should set the lock aiming the center point at the foreground (your face), then reframe your shoot to how you want it (presumably with your subject not directly in the center). This will make sure the flash is exposing for the foreground while the camera is exposing for the background (i think it will work best if you have evaluative metering turned on). The button should be on the back on right side near the shutter button and it will probably have a * (asterix) next to it. Good luck!

The Canon 350d actually has a "night scene" mode that will do what you want automatically - the camera will calculate the correct exposure for the background, and for the flash of the subject - it does a very good job - try it sometime (also, try reading the manual on your camera, which explains this very well).