Nikon 18-200 VR doesn't autofocus???

melvinbasha

I do not have D80, so my comment is about D200, as the situation could be similar or identical.

D200 has a button called AF-ON where you can program this button to cause auto focus action. One of programming options for this button is to disable the focusing ability of the half-press action on the shutter release button.

That is in D200 you can disable the shutter release focusing, and it will never cause auto focus to function. In this case you need to press the AF-ON button to auto focus.

Deos D80 has AF-ON button ? is Yes, then there could be the reason there?

Hello Becky,

Yes, and yes! .. It was a bit soft and it stopped auto-focusing. I did some comparisons with the 18-70 Kit lens and its a bit softer than the kit lens but much sharper than my old 28-200 tamron. I find that its worst at teh long end than the short end. but if I am printing teh usual 4x6 or 5x7 prints its fine. However, I have put it in for service.. will report back here when I get it back if you like..

• 4 months later...

I just got an 18 - 200 VR and it seems to get stuck at times and not-AF, when I switch to another lens and shoot its find so i know its not the body (D200) seem to happen at the long end, changing it to 85mm seem to free it up.

Setting it /m and using it as a range finder works ok, so i think its a af-s motor or gear drive.

Other than this problem I like the lens, though not as sharp as a 70-200mm f/2.8

I am leaving for a photo shoot Monday and will bring a back 18-70mm.

and send it in when I get back.

Happy shooting.

Lou

http://louisdallara.com