50mm Summicron R Ser 6

mharris

I just got a 3 cam 50mm Summicron R with Ser 6 filter size and I'm wondering, is

that the same as the old series 6 stuff? I have some of that but it's much

smaller. I recently bought an old leather lens tube that had a lens hood in it

that fit perfectly on the Cron. There are no markings on it at all, it's very

new looking black metal.

When looking for filters for this lens what should I look for?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael, series 6 is series 6. Any series 6 filter is the same diameter. As I read your post, you seem to be saying that the lens you bought takes a smaller filter than a series 6 filter that you have on hand. Am I reading you right?

The first 50mm Summicron, the 11228, takes a series 6 filter, held in by a retaining ring (info taken from The Leica Lens Book by Brian Bower). The later version, the 11216, takes an E55 filter, which is threaded.

I wonder: could the series filter you are remembering as larger be a series 7?

Thanks Rob, I think I said it backwards. I have an old Kodak Series VI retaining ring that is too small for my 50mm Cron. When I bought the lens from KEH it had (Ser 6) next to itand on the invoice. I assume it's a series 6 size but it sure looks bigger.

Thanks everyone, I feel kind of stupid. I have this little grey Leica book and checked my lens in it. It's a Summicron 50 with an E55 or series VII filter. While it was labeled ser 6 on the KEH site I checked the serial number and it's one of the others. Don't know if this is good or bad but I'll refine my search.