Advice on what Lightmeter to purchase

i_jarvis

Hi,

Sorry if this kind of question gets asked a lot.....

I have recently purchased a 500CM Hasselblad Medium Format Camera.

Up until now, I have always used the inbuilt lightmeters in my cameras, I have never used a separate

hand-held lightmeter before. I know very little about them.

I will mainly be taking indoor portraits.

Could someone recommend a good lightmeter that isn't too complicated to use.

I'm willing to pay about a hundred pounds for one. Does any one know what the new Sekonic L308S is

like?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Harley

Harley, If I was involved like you in portrait photography, I would first consider

an incident light meter, which you could use to balance your light sources. I

think the Sekonic L-398 (the model number, if memory serves me) is a

reliable, accurate and batteryless reasonably cheap meter. Alternatively, it

seems that a good spot meter (Minolta F spotmeter, available for about $250

US on eBay or Photo.Net) might be a good option, as you could measure

different light values placed on your subject's face (flash or ambient).

Your best bet, as other have said, is an incident meter that can also ambient plus flash. I have an older sekonic, and it works great. You really don't need reflective readings for indoor portraits. In general, getting both an incident and reflective capability in a single light meter will usually be more than just buying an incident light meter. My Sekonic has both a built in spot meter and incident, but it wasn't cheap. Check keh.com for used lightmeters.

Another vote for a versatile light meter that includes incident as well as reflected, and flash metering without cables. I like the Minolta Auto Meter IV F.

The trick with reflected light readings is to know the angle of acceptance and to point it to the right part of the subject. If you've been used to a computer driven multi segment meter in a modern SLR you will need to learn how to read your meter. It's not complicated. It's simpler in a way, since you don't have to learn how to outsmart your SLR meter.

In case you're tempted to go small and compact, I would definitely not recommend the Sekonic L-208 which I have found inconsistent and inaccurate.

I have the Sekonic L208 as well as a Norwood-inspired big,

no-battery Sekonic incident meter. I use the former much more than

the latter. To me, it seems consistent and reliable -- for what it

does well. What it doesn't do well is meter in rather low light, and

that's why I wouldn't recommend it for your purposes. As for the

latter type, at least in my part of the world used examples in

excellent condition are numerous and pretty cheap.

I'm partial to light meters with meters - digital readout seems awkward to me. I owned a digital Gossen for a bit. But I sold it because I had to use a button to toggle between equivalent exposure combinations. It's much nicer to glance at a dial and be able to see all combinations at once.

Take a look at the Gossen Luna Pro. Inexpensive and accurate in low light. It meters flash, too. And so easy to use: push a button to meter, turn the dial to the null position, and then read the dial.

Hi all

Dos anyone have experience with the current top of the line Sekonic light meters: L-558 and L-758D. What is the difference between the two. Does the L-558 do anything the L-758D does not, or does the L-758D include all the features and functions of the L-558.

How do these two light meters compare with the smaller models that have been recommended on this thread. I acknowledge they are more expensive than the budget, but I prefer to pay once and get all I need.

I have always used the spot meter built in my metered cameras (Contax Aria, Contax 645 and Nikon D200). I find that if I point the spot meter at an area that I think is the right to meter the exposure, and by locking the metering (this sucks on the Nikon D200), use this metering for the exposure, I get much better results, than if I rely on the average / weighted metering system in the camera. I often find something that is 18% grey in the same direction as the subject and point the spot meter on that area for the exposure metering.

I am looking for a light meter that will allow me to explore the lighting profile of the subject on more detail, include incident light metering and have flash metering ? especially the ratio between natural and flash light. Furthermore when the camera is on a tripod it is more practical with a hand held external light meter if you want metering of different areas to investigate the contrast.

Sekonic L358, has incident dome and the digital display lights up with a blue glowing display in low lighting automatically. It also can do wireless flash firing when used in flash metering mode. This is a great reasonably compact flash unit that can figure out the averaging of many readings and other computations. It has a lot of features for the price.

• 3 weeks later...
I second Harvey's note. Just purchased the Sekonic L358 and very pleased with its handling. Very simple and handy - surprisingly un-daunting for someone who is new to lightmeters. Like you, I am a new user of the Hasselblad 503cw and learning to use a lightmeter for the first time. Gd luck!

• 10 months later...

"Another vote for the L-508 -- expensive, but easy to learn how to use, and capable of pretty much anything you'll ever need."

Sorry if I missed that detail David Schwartz, but is the L508 anincident+reflective+flash meter??