F5 & N90s

tjsolon

Hi Gang,

I've been a member here since for awhile now, but never have posted in the forum.

My question is, I have an F5 and N90s, both of which have very light usage. I

bought them in 2000 and just sit in my camera bags. Is there still a need and

demand for these "old" film cameras now that the digital revolution has taken a

full hold?

They are great cameras and are in great condition.

Tom

Is your interest in selling the cameras? If so, as the previous post indicated, there isn't much demand relative to the supply. Is there a need? That depends! What are your expectations? For around $550, you can buy a Nikon film scanner and scan 35mm film to create files with more information content than digital cameras...except perhaps for digital cameras and backs with sensors larger than 35mm film (and those are expensive). No doubt, some will disagree with this statement. But remember, the dynamic range of film exceeds that of digital sensors smaller than 35mm film. When you factor that in, I believe that 35mm film captures more information.

But digital, of course, gives one instant feedback. And there is no film and processing cost. You can take near infinite number of pictures. (But I hate those tiny viewfinders on consumer-level digital SLRs compared to 35mm film cameras.)

It all depends upon what your needs are, not what others "needs" are.

Hi Benny and Shun

Thanks for the quick replies. Benny, I am not necessarily going to sell them, but I was just contemplating their existence in my bag. To be honest, I really don't know what to do with them. I shoot a digital D200 now, and hardly touch the film.

I do, however, shoot film once in awhile for weddings. I don't know. I just feel a bit strange having those two great cameras idle. And yes, I totally agree with the teeny view finders of digital compared to my N90s. Every time I go back to film, I am always amazed at how much one can see.

It's sad to think that something that cost me $1,200+ will cost $100 now! :(

But having said that, I am happy to keep it for years and perhaps film one day will be chic and trendy, and film cameras cost a fortune! ;)

Tom

I shoot a D200, too. And I just picked up a like-new F100 for $300. Great camera at an amazingly low price. I just ran a few rolls of Ilford Delta 3200 through it (my kids basketball games). Great results!

You really should either use your film cameras or sell them to someone who will use them. Just make sure that you shoot a roll or two before you decide.

I probably used the F5 half a dozen times in 2006. It's like the weekend roadster that you take out when the mood strikes you. Who says there has to be a need? Like many of us, I shoot 99% digital these days but am quite fond of the F5 and probably will never sell it. Ten years from now, after I have gone through several Nikon DSLR's, the F5 will still just as much of a hot rod as it is today. If you like it, keep it.

I use my F100 and F3hp for B&W and wide angle shots. I am still resisting buying DX lenses for the D70 that my wife gave me two years ago. Also, if you want great shots with wide dynamic range subjects print color film still has more latitude than dslrs available now.

Also, if you are not really a computer person and hate post processing in front of a computer screen then film is one simple way to enjoy picture taking for its own pure pleasure of capturing the moment without alteration. Then of course if you like using great mechanical devices that have a feel and sound to them which stimulate your senses, why not enjoy an F5 its special.

Is there still a need and demand for these "old" film cameras ! I know plenty of people who still use Nikon F's so the F90 & F5 are still relatively new. No seriously, i still use my three F5 over all my digital kit for black & white the other thing I've always found that scans off slow slide film gives me larger englargements than digital. Haveing said that i've just invested in a D2Xs for the studio so that might change. As for getting rid of my F5 never!!!

I'll add this little note....contrary to most people, I recently bought a film camera...the F6! What a fantastic camera. Why did I do that in this age of digital? Because in my opinion, at least for non-professional use, for quality of results (e.g., high-dynamic range of film), camera longevity, reliability, and ergonomics per dollar spent, a film camera cannot be beat. I don't want to start a digital vs. film flame. My point is....try the film cameras. You may like them!

I think film cameras have a special feeling and satisfaction in using them and probably it's no sense to compare digital with film because they are two different media, two different ways to understand photography. I'm a film user but also enjoy a lot shooting with my E-500 from time to time (will change to a F-XX when Nikon have a cleaning system for the ccd). In a symmetrical way, I would like to invite you to use your excelent F90 and F5 from time to time. Why not to enjoy both worlds?

Just nabbed a few old AI and AIS lenses. The electronic rangefinder on the N90s is fun to use, and some of these manual lenses can't be beat for the price. In addition to that, I can go wide with with an 18-35mm or 17-35mm (whichever fits your budget) zoom without having to sacrifice quality.

I just love picking out the right film, too. Also, it's real neat to think that B&W negatives will be around longer than I will. You can't say that about digital. No, not if you get sloppy about storage and transferring your files on a regular basis to prevent against corruption.