Don and Roy - Found film

gene m

Gene, I am surprised you posted that last photo without commentary. Perhaps it is too easy to mock, and therefore beneath you. ;)

My brother bought me a pair of pants like those for Christmas last year. In fact, he buys me pants like those almost every year for Christmas. It upsets my mom.

Gene big smiles as usual. The actor was Don Defore. I always remember him as the next door neighbor in the early years of Ozzie & Harriet before Ricky became a rock star. Also for the old film buffs he was a crew member on the B25 in 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. He was always shoooting

8 mm movies and did so when they flew the plane under the Golden Gate Bridge,only to find out he didn't have film in the camera. Somewhere around 1968 or 1969 I was working as a photographer for a commercial studio in Washington D.C. One of our clients was the Sheraton Park Hotel which was right accross the srteet from our shop. They liked to get photos of the celeberaties that stayed in town and Don Defore was there. We traveled to Union Station where Defore was going to take the Metro Liner to NYC. He got to sit in the cab and wear a engineers cap. It seems his father had worked on the railroad. For you photo freaks I shot with a Rollei 3.5f Tri-X and a Honeywell 65D strobe. Well that's what you get for mentioning Don Defore.

Good info about Don Defoe. The lady next to him looks familiar. Ozzie and Harriet was a weekly favorite in my house.

Gene, have you tried to convert any of these to 120? Looking at my Argus, the 120 film roll will fit in the film compartment but the little nubs on the prongs that hold the roll in place are a touch too long and keeps the film from being seated. I'm wondering about snipping those nubs a bit and try to keep the 120 roll stable by friction. Then I could use a 620 spool for take up. Much easier than respooling.

These are also easy street cameras. Who's going to be threatened by a box camera? (^U^)

I also found that the diameter of the 120 roll ends will still allow the back to close. I do think that grinding down the nubs will allow the insertion of 120 film in the feeding chanber and using a 620 take-up spool. I'll let you know later today.

Well, I gave it a try by grinding down the spool nubs a bit with a dremmel tool and got the 120 roll to fit but, even though the back will close, it is too tight to wind freely. It would probably turn Ok if I clip the edges of the 120 spool. I'll give that a try. The amount of grinding did not affect the use of 620, so, it's back to respooling!