Rebel XTi - Error 99

robert_john_asuncion

Hi.. I had my camera repaired for its defective hot shoe then after I got it

from the Service Centre, I started experiencing error 99.. I receive this error

code about 2 or 3 times a day of shoot.. I had it checked again hoping to

resolve the problem but they didn't saw the error 99 appear making them believe

that there was no problem.. I had it checked my self before I leave the ASC and

true that It didn't appeared.. but now I'm encountering it again..

cCan anybody please tell me some thing about this problem, do you have any

solutions with regards to this?

Thank you in advance for your help..

You can search archives for "Error 99" or "Err99" to get a handle on the problem, which is not that uncommon. Often it seems to arise from miscommunication between the lens and the body.

Its appearance so soon after repair could indicate either cause or coincidence. Can you think of any difference between trying the camera at the ASC and when you get it now? Like the lens used or any other gear, etc.

HTH

Hi Robert, I just wanted to share a similar horror story. I have a 1Ds Mark II and its hot-shoe became loose and would only fire intermittently. I thought "no big deal". The camera was, of course, just out of warranty. So I sent it to Canon's NJ repair center and thought while it's there, I'll have them do a CLA (Cleaning, Lubrication & Adjustment).

I got the camera back about a week later. All seemed well. About a week after that though, the shutter died - and it died *way* below the number of actuations that one should be able to put on it.

So back to Canon it went. They repaired the shutter for free under their 60-day service warranty. I got the camera back about a week later.

Approximately two weeks after that I was doing a portrait shoot. (Bad time!) I took a few shots, chimped the LCD screen, and there were horrible horizontal lines running through the image. At first, I thought it was my CF card. I changed it, removed the battery, everything. Nothing fixed it. It was toast.

Sooo... Back to Canon it went. That was on January 29th. I received an email from Canon saying that they'd fix this too for free since it seems that every time I send the camera to them it comes back in worse shape with something else wrong.

I'm no electrical engineer - or camera repair person for that matter - but it *looked* like the sensor got fried from looking at the images. At the very least some seriously important circuitry was toasted.

In 8 years of owning Canon products this is the *only* thing I've *ever* had fail on me and it all started with that flash hot-shoe. I'm not sure what they have connected to it in their cameras but it's apparently pretty serious business. And while I'm not happy that it's spent so much time in the shop I certainly can't complain about Canon not charging me for the subsequent repair(s). It does seem they've *tried* to do the right thing by me. Hopefully I'll get it back this week. And I hope your problem gets straightened out too. If your lens contacts are clean it sounds like you may need to send it back, unfortunately. I hope you fare better! Good luck!

<I> I'm using a 3rd party strobe dedicated for Canon EOS.. does it have something to do with error 99?</i><P>

I suppose it's possible. Canon is pretty non-specific about their error codes but usually error 99 comes from a flaky connection with a lens.<P>

What you might try is using your camera for a day or two with no flash attached and see if the problem goes away. Take pics of anything, just to test it. Again, if the problem disappears when you don't use that 3rd party strobe then I'd say the problem lies in there somewhere.<P>

If that's the case it could be a glitch is still present with your hotshoe or an incompatibility with the 3rd party equipment. Perhaps you could borrow a Canon flash to test that theory.<P>

I know that I've had a heckuva time since I sent my camera in to get my hotshoe fixed though. Good luck!

My new 1 hour rebel xti had this code and after using the advice from this fourm and it still didnt help I returned it for a new one the next day. A local camera shop tech told me that he gets these cameras in with this same code and after checking out the camera and cleaning it along with the lens contacts that sometimes this would clear the code.

• 7 months later...
Yep, I am having this same problem with my new Xti. My best guess at this point is that it has something to do with the lens/camera contacts. I would take a picture, it would be totally overexposed, and then I'd get the error message. I think I fixed it (at least temporarily) by removing and then reattaching the lens to the camera. I was using a canon 400L F5.6 prime lens when this happened, so this issue isn't just restricted to 3rd party lenses.

• 2 months later...
Just a quick note,,I returned my xti the day after buying due to err99 and exchanged for a new one,,,got the new xti home took several pictures and working fine,,,two days later same thing err99 (wanted to kick this thing to china byway of sliding glass door)but kept my cool and starting searching the net and found a blog on this issue,,,,The recommendation was to remove the lens and clean the gold contacts both on the camera base and all of the lens going to be used with this camera,, use a pencil eraser to do this,,this will remove body oils and other things not alowing to contacts to touch and make good contact,,7 days later and still no error,,,hope this works as well for you,,,PS PLEASE HOLD CAMERA BASE AND LENS SO WHILE CLEANING ANY DIRT WILL FALL AWAY FROM AND NOT INTO THE CAMERA BASE OR THE LENS (sure am glad I didn't bust my sliding glass door)

• 5 months later...

Cleaning the gold contacts seems to make sense,I'll try that myself.

My camera started accting up after my trip to Barbados. I figured the hot humid salty air wasn't exactly good for it. I was changing lenses quite often. I also seem to think that the hot shoe might also be an issue as I seem to get the error more often then not when I have the "Canon" flash mounted.I suspect cleaning the contact in the hot shoe might also help.

• 5 years later...
<p>Ok, so I had an accident and spilled some tea on my prime 50mm lens and some on my Rebel Xti. I dried everything off as best I could but I DID notice some droplets that somehow got inside the lens and was on the inside of the rear glass. I put the lens and camera in a tub of rice and let them sit for a couple of days. Then I cleaned everything, contacts and all and tried the camera out. When trying to shoot with the prime 50, I get an error 99 code. Using my 18-55 and my 70-300 telephoto, everything works fine. no problems. So....I'm guessing the prime 50 is toast?</p>