too good to be true?

matthias_st._john1

I've been wanting some studio strobes for a little while now. I found these on

ebay.

http://item.express.ebay.com/__Studio-Flashes-Strobes_110-ws-Pro-Photo-Studio-Strobe-Flash-Mono-Light-SL110_W0QQitemZ220082662877QQihZ012QQptdnZStudioQ20FlashesQ20Q26Q20StrobesQQcmdZExpressItem

They are really really cheap and I feel that they might not been any good I mean

a studio strobe for 40?

Does anyone know anything about these? good? no good?

I was wondering what are some of the things I should look for to know what ones

are good. Any sugestions on what other people are using would be great. Also I

do a lot of location work.

My sunpacks work great for this but does any one have any suggestions on fixing

up some sort of model lights for them. Those tend to really help out.

Thanks

Matthias St. John

Dont waste your time buying crap, pick out a decent set of lights and save up the money. Check ebay for good deals on Speedotron brown line packs and strobes, I'm sure you will be able to get a set for around $200 or so.

If your looking for monolights, what about the Flashpoints from Adorama. I have 2 sets and they're a great value for the price.

The same basic unit is apparently sold as a Savage 150<br>

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4838276<br>

http://www.adorama.com/SAS150.html<br>

and under a few other names as well.<p>

I'm one of the few people who advocate buying cheap crap if you don't know for sure what you want or need yet. Grab one if you think you could live with throwing the thing straight into the garbage after using it a session or two. That might be a less expensive route than taking a big loss on a quality rig that you have to unload on ebBay before you can afford the equipment that you really need.<p>

A better route, if you are fortunate to live in a major metro area, is to either rent or borrow a rig for a day or two, or drop in to see a few studio photographers in the area -- my experience is that they usually love to show off their equipment. You can sometimes even take a studio photo class at a local college.<p>

Any way you go at it, you will get a better idea of the nature of the equipment you need to get the results you want.

The 2 main things that you do not want to skimp on if you are wanting professional looking results are 1:lenses, 2:lights, in both cases you get what you pay for!

I myself use Photogenic mono and pack & head systems for all my lighting because they are very consistent in color temp and reliability, the Photogenic machine and lighting Co. has been around for almost a century, and still supports even some of their oldest lighting systems "depending on just how old, I'M not talking ancient dinosaurs", they may be a little more on the expensive side, but well worth the money!

Good luck and have fun!

Ken.

In every single other thing I have ever bought I would be saying the same thing you get

what you pay for, BUT for lighting the Alien Bees line is hard to beat, a little over $200 us

for a fully adjustable 160 watt second light is a good deal, teh down side for you location

work you will need to buy there battery system for another $300 or stay close to an outlet

regards

Ray