Large Format-Where to Start?

boyd

Hi All,

I am looking to try out large format photography. I have been shooting medium format and developing my

own film for years, but now I have an interest in Large format. Any information would be appreciated,

cameras lenses etc...Basically what do I need to get started and where can I get a low priced set-up.

Thanks in advance..

Scott

Don't worry too much about which camera and which lens, as long as you get a lens suitable for your format, such as 4x5. Just buy some camera and lens and get started. I suggest a normal lens, from 150 to 210 mm for 4x5. Most of us who have been in LF photography awhile have switched cameras. After you have used your first camera for awhile, you will better know what you want. Unlike small and medium format photography, selecting a camera brand doesn't lock you into lenses from that manufacturer. If you later buy a different camera, you can easily transfer your lenses to the lensboards of you new camera.

Your question is general and will draw a wide range of answers since there are many ways to do LF photography. I suggest browsing the forum archives for more information -- take a look in the categories "Beginner's questions", "Cameras", Lenses", "Tripods", etc.

I have been using LF for 10 years and have several cameras in both 4x5" and 8x10".

Recently I actually bought a low priced "beginners" camera with restricted movements - a

Toyo 45CF. It has its limitations but it is very light and because of that it always follows

me on hiking trips and long polar expeditions where low weight is crucial. And I really like

the camera even if it has restricted movements. B&H has it priced 810USD, but once you

put it in your shopping cart the price is lowered to 629.95.

To get started you need:

- a camera

- a lens mounted on a lens board (my first lens was a 135mm and is still the one I use

most)

- a few film holders

- a loupe

- a cable release

- a dark kloth

- a tripod

- a light meter

- sheet film of your choice

- some knowledge about camera movements (swing/shift/tilt)

- patience

<p>I don't agree to just buy a camera and start shooting. It's a quick way to make a lot of

mistakes and waste some money. I would recommend doing some reading, such as

suggested, the <a href="http://www.largeformatphotography.info/">LF Website</a>, and

books by Steve Simmons, Leslie Stroebel, and Jim Stone (usually available at larger chain

bookstores or photo shops). In short, get some background first, then research cameras and

lens to find what works for you and where you can buy them. Just my <a href="http://

www.wsrphoto.com/lfbloglist.html">learning experience</a> to date.

I still have my first 4x5, and won't ever part with it. I guess I got lucky and found a good match the first time out of the gate. If you get an inexpensive camera to start with, there is a good chance that you can get back what you put into it if it turns out you don't like it. On the other hand, matching your style with a camera that will compliment it is very sage advice. I certainly second the suggestion of doing a bit of reading to get an idea of what large format offers, and then using that basic understanding to at least narrow down the choices.

There are a number of differences between a field camera and a view camera and knowing how you will be using the camera and what you want to get out of it will help you, it's just a matter of being a person who learns better by doing or by reading.

- Randy

It would help if we knew what you were looking for in LF.

But I'm with the 'Buy it and Try it' crowd.

I only started to understand movements when the limitations of the camera I started with became apparent, so it was a good thing for me to start out with a limited movement press camera (still a newbie btw)

However, I'm not a landscape or architecture guy.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, a Polaroid back of some sort eases the learning curve, but it can be pricey due to cost of film.

I agree with above. Read a few books/websites, and most importantly fully understand movemets, especially tilt how it works, when and when not to use it. Always check your corners too.

Another good one to work out ahead of time is tracking your film. What is loaded where, what is not, etc. For a newcomer it can get tricky if you have more than one film type loded. Still screws me up at times. If you want to make it simple use readyloads and a holder.

IMO start off with a super graphic. All alum tough folder cammed rangefinder rotating back etc. thats not bulky and not too heavy. They run about 300-400 for a kit at auction.

If you want to upgrade the lens buy a modern Schneider or rodenstock 150mm lens to start.

Besides that you need all the support eq too, film holders, changing tent, meter etc.

My previous answer suggesting to buy and get started wasn't meant to be against reading on

the internet or a book. I think the suggestion of reading a book is excellent. I was trying to

advise against agonizing over the selecction of the first camera. In most cases, even lots of

reading won't enable you to pick the perfect camera for you -- you will need actual

experience.

Scott, I became interested in LF work about five years ago. I've created a site that has grown with my experience, but I've tried to keep it aimed at new LF users.

http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/BN_Photo/LFN/ViewNeedsEval1.htm

I also highly recommend the LF Photography Information site that will give you more depth and greater breadth of opinion. http://www.largeformatphotography.info

Brian Wallen

Scott:

IMHO, the camera does not matter so much. You can get a cheap used one on the auction site, play with it for a while, and later sell it there as your knowledge about what features really matter to you evolves. Doing this won't cost you much as used gear tends to hold its value reasonably well. Except for extreme cases, camera quality does not impact image quality. The camera is basically a light tight box that holds everything in place so that the lens and film can do their thing.

However, the lenses are another matter. They tend to be expensive, they directly impact image quality and you will soon want a number of them to be able to take different kinds of photos. As said in a post above, unlike smaller formats, the lenses and the cameras are made by different folks. Generally, the lenses and the cameras are completely interchangeable. If you are like most of us, after a few years most of the cost of your LF kit will be in your lenses, less so in your cameras. You will probably come to regard your cameras as items that come and go while your lenses will be a long term investment in your hobby. Given this, I think it pays to think carefully what kind of photography interests you and think carefully about your lenses so that as you acquire them they are part of a consistent plan. This will save you a fair amount of money in the long run. Steve Simmons' book (highly recommended) has a very good discussion of the thought process behind building such a lens kit. It is well worth reading and thinking about before you start to spend money on lenses. LF is a lot of fun. Welcome.

Cheers,

Dave B.

As one of the guys here said, most people switch from their first camera after a while. That is because they buy a cheap camera, often with outdated lenses. They feel great about getting a whole 4x5 outfit for several hundred dollars, until they see the results. Generally it is wasted money and effort. Get a good camera and lens and it will be with you for years. I recommend the Ebony RW45 as a beginners camera ($1545.) It was my first LF folder, and I still use and love it. Whatever brand you pick, don't buy junk. Here are the names of some good and honest dealers who can advise you, lowest price first: Bruce's Field Camera Store, Midwest Photo,Badger Graphic, Lens and Repro.

I'll weigh in with the Buy It And Try It crowd. (I call it "Ready. Fire. Aim.")<p>

You can buy a 4x5 set-up for a few hundred bucks, shoot with it for a year, andafter you've played with itif you decide it's not what you need, sell it and get your money back. With a year's experience under your belt, you'll be in a much better position to assess your <em>actual</em> needs.<p>

It's too easy to buy "too much camera" because you <em>think</em> you'll need it.

I agree that buying a camera is not not important place to be really picky since the lenses are interchangeable and with a little bit of planning even a lens that is nominally too limited in coverage can still be used with a particular film size so long as you are focusing closer which increases the image circle. I find this particularly true for closeups with shorter process lenses,and also for the wide-angles when shooting closeups or architectural interiors.

With that said, it is easiest to start with 4x5 and plan your equipment purchases around that. I always wanted to use 5x7 and so also looked at the coverage of my lens choices with that in mind, and eventually also got interested in larger formats for contact and projection prints so I planned for that as well. Still, a good 4x5 field camera will probably stick with you for life even if you decide you need to add a specialty camera or larger film size to your repetoire.

• 1 month later...

I have to disagree a bit with Bruce, even though admittedly I'm new to large format (doing it for 6 months). I would say Bruce is probably right if the photography you are shooting with your large format is of a traditional nature... like commercial products and especially landscapes and architecture.

However, some great and famous photographers use cheap old Speed Graphics like me. Look at David Burnett. Photographed presidents and politicians with all sorts of junky cameras... Holga, Speed Graphic with Aero Ektar lens... and the photos are PHENOMENAL.

If you are into shooting people and art photography, you don't need the super sharpest lens. To folks like me, it's the composition that counts more than how super sharp you can make the photo. I mean, with LF, they're way more sharp than anything else to begin with. The reason why folks like me shoot LF is because we like how the camera forces us to really think about the composition, even if we're not using a tripod. :)

Other than that, I've been looking at the Fotoman. $1300 and you get a really awesome and small LF camera!