Which B+W Filter?

cjburbank

I am currently putting my order together for a Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle

10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens. I am trying to figure which polarizing

filter to get, and these are my two options;

1) B+W 77 mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated (MC) Slim Glass Filter $164

2) B+W 77 mm Kaeseman Circular Polarizer Extra Wide Glass Filter $259

I know that with a wide angle lens, there is a chance of vignetting, and the

Kaesman Polarizer claims that it will prevent it. But if there is vignetting on

the lens, the filter can't prevent that right? As you can see, there is a

significant price difference.

Has anyone ever used either of these? I do use B+W for my other lens and love

them. But with the wide angle lens, I want to be sure I am getting the right

one. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

I have never used a 10mm lens, I won't be able to for sure tell you whether the polarizer will block the corners. If you are using a film camera, the chance is the slim glass filter will block it. I do have some points I would like you to consider.

10mm is a very wide lens. With a polarizer, even though the polarizer rim is not blocking the lens, you will see vignetting. The wide angle lens coverage is so wide that the degree of polarizing effect will be different at one edge versus the opposite edge. For example, the blue sky on the right side of the frame may be exposed properly, but the blue sky on the left side is more than 1 stop darker due to the polarizing effect. Are you trying to get that kind of effect?

Kaeseman polarizer is quite expensive. What about buying a slightly larger MC polarizer (don't need a special slim ring) and use a step down ring to fit, that's the same as buying an extra wide glass filter. Also look into Heliopan, they are just as good and come in slim rim as a standard. Heliopan is not as well know for some reason, but they are just as good, I use both.

No. This just means that it is a DC lens designed for digital cameras with APS-C sized sensors. If you use the lens on a full frame camera you will get very bad vignetting (possibly black corners) and horrible edge sharpness.

The DC lenses are equivalent in coverage to a Canon EF-S lens but unlike the EF-S lens you can mount the DC lenses on any EF mount.

Whether you get vignetting with a regular thickness polarizer depends on the lens design and there are no hard and fast rules. You get vignetting with the EF-S 10-22 and a regular thickness polarizer. You don't get vignetting using a regular thickness polarizer on a 17-40/4L on a full frame camera.

You will have to wait for word from someone who has this lens.

I am not a huge fan of the slim filters without front threads - the push on lenscaps are much less secure than those that attach to threads. Hoya make a Pro-1 range which is slimmer than a regular polarizer but with front threads.

In addition to the other feedback you've received, I add this trivia: "Kaeseman" refers to a type of polarizer where the rim is sealed to prevent humidity from separating the layers of the filter. This treatment is not ordinarily needed but may be useful in tropical or other humid environs.

You don't say what camera body you're body you're going to use this lens on, but I assume its something like an EOS 300D/350D/400D, or maybe a 20D or 30D. In that case, you won't have a vignetting problem with the lens per se. For a polarizer filter, you should get one that is designated as "slim".

The Tiffen polarizer B&H recommends:

http://tinyurl.com/yppc8y

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=163451&is=REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detail&addedTroughValue=381610_REG

is probably just such a filter since B&H recommends it and it doesn't have a front thread. Obviously the B+W you cite in your #1 is also a slim model.

Umm, I'm being officious, but I have to ask if you are fixed on this lens? In an earlier post today, I believe Bob Atkins said that users report 1 out of 5 Sigma lenses have problems out of the box, vs. 1 out of 9 for Tamron, and 1 out of 15 for Canon. Odds are yours will be fine, and the Sigma is wider than everything else but the Canon 10-22 and cheaper than the Canon, but as Sy Syms's ads say: An informed consumer is a wise consumer.

I appreciate all your feedback. I decided to go with the MC slim polarizer since this lens is specifically made for my 400D style camera. You make me nervous Bruce when you say that 1 out 5 Sigma lenses work out of the box. I hope that I am one of the lucky ones. Thank you all for the help.

Chris,

I don't think I said 1 out of 5 work; rather, I reported I thought Bob Atkins said 1 out of 5 Sigma users report problems with their new lenses -- I doubt if that's rigorously random sample data but probably a self-selected sample. The same kind of bias would be present for the other brands too.

If that's true, 4 out of 5 Sigma buyers have no problems with their lenses. That's still low compared to the 14 out of 15 Canon/Nikon/Sony users who have problem, but it may be worth the several hundred dollars savings.

Obviously you can improve your odds if you try out the lens before you walk out of the store, or if you buy online from a store that has good return policies and practices.

Good luck!

PS: Re: the slip-on cover problem Alistair mentions: Its real enough that I bought the tightest slip-on that would fit, which has its own downside, but I prefer that to a too loose fit.

I *think* the regular filter ought to work. I have the B+W KSM MRC and it does not vignette on my Tokina 12-24. BTW, two points: B+W's literature says they use improved foils on the KSM in addition to the edge sealing, and you can get that filter for a lot less from www.maxsaver.net I got the standard 77mm B+W KSM MRC for $122.

In some angles from the sun you will get the color variation from side to side in the sky on the UWA lens. I have seen it on some shots, but not others.