8x10 camera advice

j. f.

I'm thinking of moving up to 8x10 and can't decide which camera...'narrowed' it

down to the Shen Hao, Tachihara triple extension, Wehman, Gandolfi Variant, even

maybe an Arca Swiss F Compact (the last two being over budget really). I'll be

mostly be doing contact prints, and just enjoying the whole 8x10

hassel/experience for myself. I'd like a camera with a long and sturdy bellows

extension for close up portraits/still life, and if possible good movements for

interiors with say a 180mm lens, maybe even bag bellows as an option, but this

is not essiential. A good bright groundglass design is important too, as is some

basic quality and ease of use/movements. Low weight would be nice, but is not

essiential as I use 4x5 on location. I think I'd like to buy new unless a very

good deal comes up. At the moment the Tachihara triple extension seems the best

balance of quality/price...any comments, personal experience, advice from active

users of these cameras would be more than welcome. Thanks!

I have the Wehman and love it. It is not the prettiest camera out there, but it sure is the sturdiest and must rugged camera and it offers all the movements I would ever need (I shoot mostly landscapes and close-ups). The clam-shell design makes it very easy to take the camera on hikes because it is always protected. When using normal to short lenses you can take off the bottom part of the shell, which makes for an even more compact camera. My shortlist after months of reading and searching the Internet was the Canham and the Wehman (I also own the Canham DLC45 and I love that camera). What finally convinced me was the simplicity and the clam-shell. I do a lot of hiking and therefore it made the most sense for me. Wehmans almost never show up on eBay or in the used market because people who own these hold on to them for a loooong time:-)

My narrow list for an 8x10 camera would be a Phillips if you can find one, a wehman or a kodak masterview. For light a toho, but lightish and stiff dont go together for 8x10, although the wehman is highly reguarded and not too heavy. If I can say one thing about 8x10, is dont skimp if you want a stiff camera.

There is no modern or otherwise 180mm lens that covers 8x10 that I know of. It goes from the nikon 150mm sw to the 210mm lenses.

You might want to talk to Jim at mpex. A while back he had a nice re-bellowed masterview that I passed on and I still regret passing on that one.

Another vote for the wehman. It's sturdier than my shenhao 4x5 and rear focusing is so

much easier to use. The rear standard on mine has a bit of play to the left/right whis is

my only complaint so far. I did get mine used but that was a stroke of luck. This camera

will allow ample movements on shorter lenses as well.

Stay away from the Gandolfi Variant. I have one and I hate it! Too many knobs to tighten and loosen, in my case they shipped the camera with a crooked bellows, the damn thing vignettes the image with the slightest movement. When I asked them how much it would be to switch from a tecnika front standard to a Sinar standard, not only was the information like pulling teeth, the price was outrageous.....

My choice from all the cameras you listed would be an Arca Swiss F compact...you cannot go wrong with that camera.

Another vote for the Wehman. I had a Tachihara triple extension for a while and found it extremely heavy to carry around. Also was worried about damaging it. It is a beautiful camera, and will get alo of looks.

The Wehman is built like a take offers better movements, its far lighter and virtually indestructable. Bruce Wehman is a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. As someone else said, it may not be the prettiest camera, but its great.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Thanks for all the answers. So far the Wehman seems to be top of the pile!...I've checked out his website which is very well put together, the same seems to go for the camera, I especially liked the extra light version with all the drilled holes. The 'swing focus' mechanism he describes seems something like a limited assymetrical movement, at least in one plane, but I'm not sure. Philips seems to have a hopelessly long waiting list but I have only read great paise about his design, especailly the underbody focus mechanism. Today I checked out the Shen Hao in a local shop...I'm sure it would work fine, some of the knobs/levers etc seem directly influenced by Ebony design, and there was even an underbody focus mechanism to allow movement of the front standard back and forth by turning a knob placed under the back standard...but there was something flimsy about the camera, the swing of the back standard and the shift of the front...in all I thought it a bit expensive for what it was offering. I saw the Toyo field camera too and it definately seemed sturdy, and not as heavy as I thought it would be...made me consider that lightweight cameras are especially tailored toward those who backpack, and that a heavy camera could suit others just fine, so long as it had a clean design and was quick to use. I looked at wisner's site too, and it seems that the mechansim on his technical and expedition models offer more or less the same features as the Arca Swiss Orbix design. Any advice on the arca swiss f models:the classic v. compact models, the metric and orbix mechanisms, telescopic v. collapseable rails etc? Also any users of the Canham wood cameras, they were recommended to me today. Last but not least any comments on fresnel lenses on 8x10 cameras...some cameras come with them, others don't. It seems that to get the full 8x10 groundglass experience a fresnel would be essiential, I certainly couldn't do without one on my 4/5! There is so much choice out there, I just wish the Ebony SV810Ue was a quater the price....

I have used my Tachihara 810HD triple extension camera since 1991. Since that time it has operated flawlessly. I also use a Tachihara 810GF double extension camera for wide angle work with a Super Angulon 121 mm f.8 lens. The minimum extension of the 810HD is too long for the S.A.121mm and the lens panel needs to be lifted out of the vertical guides of the front standard and reset closer to the film plane; workable but not as convenient.

If your photographic style favours long lenses or close-ups go for the 810HD. If wide-angle is preferred the 810GF is nicer, just as beautiful, and less expensive.

I've owned three 8x10 cameras, two Deardorffs and a Kodak 2D. The Kodak actually is a very much underrated camera if you can find one with the extension rail and sliding tripod block. But you seem to be looking for something a little more sophisticated. I investigated the Wehman extensively before buying my second Deardorff. I came very close to buying it and if I had it to do over I think I would. Deardorffs are great cameras but the Wehman weighs about three pounds less and costs about what you'd pay for a Deardorff in excellent condition. The only thing that put me off with the Wehman was the "early iron age" look but now I think I'd accept that for the weight savings. However, I used my 8x10s in the field so weight was more important to me than it might be to you.

I've owned a 4x5 Tachihara and it was an excellent camera. I've never used the double extension 8x10 but I played around with one and it was really heavy. I can't imagine what the triple would feel like. But Tachiharas are excellent cameras and if you can handle the weight it would be a good choice I think.

Glad to hear a positive vote for the Tachihara triple extension Maris. I think that this is what I will end up with, price is right. Are there any big differences between this and it's clones, the Osaka, and one made for Calumet I think? I don't really need a sophisticated camera, just sturdy and long extension, with basic movements and ease of use. And I think I'd prefer wood! I read too that the Wisner Traditional is in a way a modern Deardoff V8, and is not too expensive either. The Deardoff gets so many positive reviews but it I'd be worried about buying one unseen, on Ebay etc. Anybody know a good dealer for Wisner that might have this one in stock? Any users? Thanks again to everybody for all your answers? I'm sure if I was in shop with the cameras lined up in front of me it would be an easy choice to make, one would 'speak to me', but I have to just work from reviews, specs, and pics on the net. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Sinar P 8x10 viewcamera...for about evereything...I love it! It may not be the cheapest

camera out there, but it certainly is a fine piece of equipment. It jus works. I use a sinaron SE

240 mm 5.6 most of the time.... It has a very nice and bright groundglass with a fresnel lens

in front of it. The resolution out of this rig is unbelievable!

RR

• 2 years later...

<p>I currently have a Kodak 2D (for field use) - AND fabulous cast iron and timber STUDIO camera stand with all its great adjustments ,cogs, wheels and ratchets etc - and have been scurrying around the web for as much info on building a replica STUDIO 8x10. As predicted, there isnt all that much around. Has anybody turned up any info by way of scanned patent documents- I have a pdf from May 1931 for a studio job , but has too many of the "newer" options- tilt/rise/swing etc. I am after a behemoth of polished timber that is as solid as Gibraltor and wont move apart from the rear standard etc- </p>

<p> </p>