President Day weekend in Yosemite or Sequoia, snow??

sunnyindy

Hi, I'm planning for President Day weekend photo trip. I'm planning to go

maybe Yosemite or Sequoia - Kings Canyon. I'm hoping to see "winter scene."

Has anyone been one of the parks recently? Or anyone knows winter conditions

there?? Or do you recommend any other places??? (We only have 2 nights 3 days

from San Diego.) Thank you!

Sunny,

I live in El Portal, 17 miles from Yosemite Valley. It has been quite warm and raining in the Valley. I know it did snow yesterday at Crane Flat on hwy 120 at 6000 ft so I imagine the rim of the valley is covered with at least some snow.

www.yosemitecollection.com

I'll second checking out the webcams. There are some storms moving through now but they

are quite warm and snow levels are high. As an alternative, you could consider driving up the

eastern sierra toward the Mammoth area. There are so many places to photograph along that

route that, being a photographer or just a nature lover, its like being a kid in a candy store.

Don't be fooled by the View from below Sentinel Dome webcam...you can't get up there right now (short of cross country skiing). It's been so warm that the snow level is pretty high...maybe 6500 feet...check it on one of the weather sites to be sure. Then use that elevation to plan against. You'll probably be limited to Crane Flat or the Badger Pass area for fresh snow. President's Day was wonderful last year for snowy scenes in the Valley. Another system is coming through late next week, but I don't have any idea if the snow level will fall with it. There's also a webcam at Sequoia-Kings Canyon <a href="http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/sekicam/sekicam.cfm" >Sequoia Webcam</a>

But as you can see...no snow. Good Luck wherever you go, and have fun!

We're headed to Death Valley for President's Day...<a href="http://www.robcarlimages.com" >Rob Carl Images</a>

The rain this weekend and next will still probably make for good shooting when the sun comes out, especially if it's sunny in the AM. As the sun comes across the valley it heats up the damp ground and you get localized pockets of fog rising. You can follow the fog banks/pockets through the valley as the sun rises in the sky and get some great shots throughout the day. It's so much better than those "bluebird" days. <a href="http://www.robcarlimages.com" >Rob Carl Images</a>

Check www.noaa.gov for the best forecasts. There is a storm moving into the sierra this weekend. Looks like 3+ feet will be falling in the high sierra, with snow levels down to 5500 feet. the snow will continue into next week as well, so depending where you go next weekend, you could very well find yourself in a winter wonderland. Yosemite Valley, being at 4000 ft, will probably only see rain, so if you're looking for winter scenes, that won't be your best bet. Entering Sequoia from the west (via either fFresno or Visalia) will give you plenty of "winter" as the sierra west of the crest gets the bulk of the snow. However, for photography, i would second the recommendation above to head to the Eastern Sierra (that's where I'll be that weekend). There likely won't be any snow in the Owens Valley itself, but a drive up any of the roads heading to the various trailheads will have you in snow in no time. And the Eastern Sierra mountain scenery is unmatched. And if you really want to feel like you're in the thick of winter, keep driving north on 395 towards Mammoth, and as you pass 7000' or so in elevation, it'll likely be nothing but snow all around. it's truly beautiful up there. I highly recommend the Eastern Sierra. Your drive from San Diego to Lone Pine (the beginning of the "High Sierra" region) will be 5+ hours, so plan accordingly. I would recommend leaving Saturday morning instead of Friday evening as the Vegas goers will have the 15 in a jam! Enjoy your trip. I shall enjoy mine!!!

Anish

Hi, thank you for all. I appreciated infomation and suggestions, etc. So, Yosemite Valley is more likely rain around this time, I guess... but as Robert posted, foggy scene is also very attractive. We went to Eastern Sierra to Mammoth last President Day, and I enjoyed it. I might want to go back there... still not sure where I'll go this coming President Day. If anyone have further suggestions I'm happy to hear it. Thank you!

If you're not absolutely set on winter photography and would consider other options, Death Valley is an excellent choice. Great weather this time of year, and awesome scenery. Literally endless photographic opportunities. I've gone at least 10 times, and I always look forward to going back for more!

Anish

I was in Yosemite this past week. It snowed on the Valley floor Saturday night/early

Sunday morning. There were excellent snow scenes to be shot in the Valley until about

9:00am Sunday (Feb-11). Then the snow started to melt. By 12 noon almost all the snow

had melted from the Valley floor.

Winter conditions in Yosemite can change daily and are HIGHLY unpredictable. As

example, the snow level for the Saturday night storm was predicted to be at 5500'.

Yosemite Valley floor is at around 4000' elevation. Yet on Sunday morning the Valley floor

was covered with snow!

So if you go to Yosemite for the President's day weekend, be prepared for anything -- sun,

rain, snow, fog, etc.. And if you want snow shots, there are established snowshoe and

cross-country ski trails that are accessible from Badger Pass and Crane Flat. The

Tuolumne Grove of Giants Sequoias is covered with snow. It's a one-mile one-way hike

from Crane Flat. The snow covered Dewey Point valley overlook is about a 6 to 7 mile

one-way snowshoe hike from Badger Pass.

Also if the sky is clear during sunset, you might want to take a photograph of Yosemite's

"natural" firefall, aka Horsetail Falls. Horsetail Falls can turn a fiery red in February when it

reflects the light from the setting sun.